Zinniness ...... lets build the dream, Project Flowers

Re: Re:

sinnerman":easgnojd said:
Im glad you got this, and chuffed to bits with the choices you have for it, its been a long time coming for this entire site, im sure many have pondered on it many times.

Powder coat or paint...?

Flowers, Paint or decals....?

Cheers fella,

Its something I thought would have happened already but I guess its not a cheap whim, and to take a Zinn then relieve it of its clothes ...... Burnt at the stake I say, which is why right now this doesnt seem so bad, its already had a repaint (as some have said), decals were bad and .......... WHY NOT!

New clothes will be powdercoat, Paint is expensive and everywhere has a waiting list and TBH I find powder a hardier product, just not as smooth, as with the original Jo Burt product it will have the downtube Zinn decals (yes they are there) and It will have the flowers painted on, that should be fun eh. I see some other decals, perhaps just MBUK stickers, if anyone has photos other than the ones that exist already .. please share :)

More than anything, I just hope I do it justice and dont disappoint the masses.

Re:

Extra hose guide added to the Top tube for the magura hose.

IMG-20201127-080808.jpg

Re:

Been a day to myself today, tried to make it look like I had done some chores but I'm sure I haven't fulfilled enough of my other half duties :roll:

anyhoo, suddenly realised the JBZ (thats Jo Burt Zinn) doesn't have rack or mudguard mounts so spent most of today with a dremel, sandpaper, file and an angle grinder :shock: daunting job I know but I want to get as visually correct I can get without changing major parts of the frame.

for the most it went well, just one self hating fuxup involving a slip of the angle grinder but not a fatal blow.

IMG-20201128-171000.jpg

IMG-20201128-171113.jpg

IMG-20201128-170944.jpg

Re: Zinniness ...... lets build the dream, Jo Burt build.

retrobikeguy":1p83lwq5 said:
This is why.....

Now this is one of the coolest pictures of one of the coolest bikes I remember seeing in MBUK back in the day, just the fact it was a Zinn was enough but the white onza porcs just topped it, they were a statement piece on thier own, so much so that a set of them came to me for my birthday to fit to my proflex 550 :cool: they were mint as f***, weeks later after a bit of saving up I added the magura hydrostop brakes too, It was obvious the Jo burt Zinn had really affected my add on choices but alas I could never afford a Zinn so it was just the maguras, white porcs and a cut out of the Zinn on the wall for me....

IMG-20201124-213726.jpg

This is how.....

I can't afford a Zinn 753, not many of us can, especially at the moment. just seen an original with its campagnolo kit advertised for £1500 and it was snapped up, so I have picked up this 531 Centaur frameset for a lot less as a basis for Project Flowers, Yes I know this is a lesser grade of reynolds but once it has its new coat I dont think anyone will give a blinkin flip. I remember seeing this particular frame at Iconoclassic a few years ago and it was covered in campagnolo and it was nice :cool: so it seems a bit of a shame to be doing away with the lovely green paint but it does have some defects to the decals under the clearcoat so I can happily justify a repaint.

Starting basis -

Frame; Reynolds 531
Fork; Reynolds 753 segmented
Stem; Reynolds 531

I am looking forward to this build adventure :D

IMG-20201124-103109.jpg

More to add as and when I can..

Great Project RBG. Pulling up a chair and watching how this goes.

Remembered this article from MBUK Christmas special 1991. I'm sure you've already got this... but I'll add it here in case anyone was wondering what the Blinkin Flip you were on about!

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• mbuk1991 JBURT6reduction.jpg
    mbuk1991 JBURT6reduction.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 391
  • mbuk1991 JBURT5reduction.jpg
    mbuk1991 JBURT5reduction.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 391
  • mbuk1991 JBURT4reduction.jpg
    mbuk1991 JBURT4reduction.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 394
  • mbuk1991 JBURT3reduction.jpg
    mbuk1991 JBURT3reduction.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 388
  • mbuk1991 JBURT2reduction.jpg
    mbuk1991 JBURT2reduction.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 386
  • mbuk1991 JBURT1reduction.jpg
    mbuk1991 JBURT1reduction.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 388

Ha! That interview was done about 500 yards from where I was living in Hove, the bench is on the promenade to the right a bit of Brunswick Square.

Had a lot of fun down there.

boy"O"boy":106x66yi said:
Great Project RBG. Pulling up a chair and watching how this goes.

Remembered this article from MBUK Christmas special 1991. I'm sure you've already got this... but I'll add it here in case anyone was wondering what the Blinkin Flip you were on about!

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Thank you for adding that in fella, believe it or not that is one of the few issues I dont have anymore, you know what its like when you move out and your mum throws everything out :facepalm: that happened, well these few pictures are the only instruction booklet we have to this build so here is what I can see

Shifters; Deore XT Thumbies
Rear Derailleur; Deore XT
Front Derailleur; Deore XT 28.6mm
Crank arms; Deore XT
Chainrings; Tioga Alloy
Pedals; Deore XT
Bottom Bracket; Unknown, probably XT
Chain; Unknown, probably HG90
Hubs; Deore XT
Skewers; Deore XT
Rims; Campagnolo Thorr dark annodised
Tyres; Onza Porcupines, White
Brakes; Magura Hydro stop. 2 finger?
Headset; Mavic 315 black 1"
Handlebars; Unkown but black
Bar ends; Onza steel, cut down
Grips; Unknown
Seatpost; Unknown, Ritchey Silver?
Saddle; Rolls black
Bar decoration; A sheep.

Happy to hear on any of the Unknowns

Peace

Thanks for posting that article Ben. I couldn't remember it so helpful for me at least :LOL: :cool:

Re: Re:

Bollox64":rks2boa7 said:
Still need black Campag rims? I have these NOS, but can’t remember the model

https://flic.kr/p/25jreuX

pretty sure I have some in the pipeline fella but theyre the ones with the pink labels called Thorr.

If they dont come through, which I'm sure they will I will bare you in mind.

RBG

PS heres a later incarnation of Jo's bike after the white porcs wore out, panaracers were fitted and the bar ends ditched.

unnamed.jpg

Latest posts

Back