So, I'm a Hypocrite! Festive Fuquay FZ1

Corduroyboy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Some may remember this frame (a 1997 Fuquay FZ1 'Dexter' full suspension frame) when it came up on eBay:

viewtopic.php?t=115046&highlight=fuquay

I went on record as saying I didn't like it.

However, it was listed with some interesting parts, so I figured that if it went cheap enough, I could build it, have a bit of fun with it, then get my money back and keep a few parts for myself. Well, cheap it went, so it was going to be mine! How could I resist! Being listed as 'pick-up only' from Bournemouth obviously kept the price down.

A quick search of Retrobikes' finest revealed that a certain gentleman 'Makster' was in the vacinity. A PM later and he very kindly agreed to collect on my behalf and post up at cost. Massive thanks to him for that!

The package arrived after I had been advised by Makster that it was a thing of beauty. And boy was he right! I was a little concerned about the 'busy-ness' of the frame design but it's actually very interesting, indeed pleasing, to look at! I certainly will have fun building it up:

Picture459-1.jpg

Original magazine scan (courtesy of Wu-Tangled):

viewtopic.php?t=11502&highlight=fuquay+full

I don't think I'll try to replicate that build - the Amp forks don't help the aesthetic IMO. And rest assured, it will be as slow in progress as ever! ;)

you just can't keep away from those Fuquays :cool: (riding mine tomorrow at 3 Tribes)

Look forward to seeing it built up.

:LOL: You hypocrite :LOL:

Always wondered what happened to this little puppy. Cant wait to see it built.

It looks quite :roll: I think I'll reserve judgment until its built, nice colour :cool:

Ps I take it this is why you have a for sale thread ;)

is the rear suspension an AMP derivative? That looks funky, but have to agree that an Amp fork although appropriate, doesn't look right no it. :?

@Kaya: One look in the man cave and you'd understand why I need a For Sale thread! :p

@RockiMtn: It is an Amp rear end. Probably going for a Pace front end and a smattering of Brit parts elsewhere. I'm not sure I know any other way! ;)

Re:

9 years on and it’s probably time I did something with this.

How many brake levers do you know have a date and serial numbers etched on?

Bit of a theme emerging here.

Custom Royce with driveside flanged cup for the E-mount XTR M950 front mech:

Some more X-Lite goodies. That rear skewer was blue.

NOS 217 SUP CD rims built onto Hope titanium hubs. These were faded red just last week until I unleashed the caustic soda! Had to raid the stash for front and rear axles too, since the hubs had short ones fitted.

Re: So, I'm a Hypocrite! Sue me!

Ooh shiny! Love those Box levers.

A kindred spirit who likes to take as long as I do to finish a project :LOL:

Latest posts

Back