1990 Rocky Mountain Blizzard - REBUILD

bside1978

Dirt Disciple
I thought I'd share some details of a current project, a Canadian classic, a 1990 Blizzard!

This has always been a dream bike for me. I was 13 years old when it was new. I was riding a very basic Nishiki mountain bike from the local Cap's bike shop back then. My first real mountain bike was a well spec'd Kuwahara in 1993. I didn't get my first Rocky until 1995. That was a rare special edition Blizzard/Altitude frame. (might post details of that one someday)

I bought this Blizzard from the original owner for next to nothing a few years ago. He was a super nice guy who just wanted to pass on this classic. Great local history too, it spent it's life in North Vancouver and saw some updates in the 90's. It was finally converted to street duty before getting left in the corner of the garage. It's seen many smiles and miles. Check out the original RMB leather saddle and rusty seatpost!

Now, 30 years down the road it's time my turn to give this bike a new life. I stripped it down right away and was pleased to find the frame in good overall shape. Lot's of nice parts too, most of which will find their way onto other projects.

Cheers, and enjoy the ride.

Pic is from when I first received the bike

Attachments

• 90_blizzard_original.jpg
    90_blizzard_original.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 2,207
Last edited:
I think I'm almost finished collecting the parts needed to complete this bike!

-I went down a rabbit hole of early XT brake cables and Uniglide cassettes. Ultimately satisfying though.

-Double Panaracer Smokes were my top tires back in early 90's. I bought a bunch of the new production of folding gum wall 'classics' have been acquired and they are really nice!

-The Rocky/Tange forks in my collection all turned out to be too short or too long, so I'm still hunting for one suitable. Might have to pop that Judy XC back on temporarily to get rolling.

More to come...

Attachments

• IMG_2738.jpg
    IMG_2738.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 2,139
Last edited:
Nice project, I have a small 1990 bought in Vancouver a couple years ago. Staying tuned for updates! Interested to know the serial number, is it a 3 digit one? Is that a WORCA sticker on the seat tube?

Re:

Yes on two counts....

It's a 3 digit serial number. BC welded bike?
WORCA sticker from previous owner. It's gone now. I think he spent time in Whistler at some point. The wheels were hand built by Whistler Bike Co. (really nice WTB powerbeams on XT parallax hubs)

The drive side rocky decals were in rough shape those I removed them, the Blizzard decals were rubbed off before it got to me.
I did a deep clean on the paint and it came out clean but I still need to do a bit of rust removal and retouching. That will probably happen after it's built up. I'm not interested in it being factory fresh. I will honour the little imperfections!

Attachments

• IMG_2946.jpg
    IMG_2946.jpg
    1,021.2 KB · Views: 2,104
  • IMG_E2949.jpg
    IMG_E2949.jpg
    944.5 KB · Views: 2,104
  • IMG_2950.jpg
    IMG_2950.jpg
    692.5 KB · Views: 2,104
Great pictures. Looking forward to seeing this progress.
Regarding the 3 digit serial#, I have read that these were BC made but this comes with a massive DISCLAIMER!, as this info is not substantiated as far as I can see. If there's anyone out there with more knowledge I'd love to know as mine is a 3 digit also.

Looking good, I'm working on a Hammer from the same year, also with a three digit number, and an even older Hammer with a lugged frame and bottom mount U-brake.

The only progress this week has been the front brake install complete with vintage Gorilla Brake Beefer.
This is the first booster/arch I was aware of in the 90's... Does any one know who originated the brake booster?

The next step is getting the U-brake on and adjusted, need new pads for that too. I'm going to try and buy a nice chain and shift cables for it this weekend. Hope I can find 5mm stuff locally.

I also ordered a rigid fork! I found an ex-rocky Tange Super Big fork in black. The price was right and it's shipping from Canada so it wasn't too painful. The Judy is nice and actually works but this bike has to be rigid!

Curious note:
You can see some neon yellow paint in the BB shell. I though this was odd. When I was cleaning the frame with some mild polish there are some spots where the white paint is getting rather thin. You can see the neon yellow underneath. Neon primer? Anyway, just those little things.

Attachments

• IMG_3025.jpg
    IMG_3025.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,100
Back