1983 F.W.Evans HISTORY UPDATE...

BoyBurning

Karma King
Bontrager Fan
Did a trip to Surrey and back to collect, literally dumped the bike in the garage and snapped some quick phone pics, then jumped back in the car to get to a meeting.

The photos are point and click just to get a record for myself really - but thought I'd share. :)

Obviously I haven't touched anything, checked anything, cleaned anything etc - it's exactly as I collected it.

At very quick first glance, everything looks in really rather good condition - just covered in a coating of very thick black grease!

Husband and wife I collected from were charming, and if not for current world events [and that I had to get back for a meeting] there's no doubt I would have stayed longer. Was bought from original owner, who used in sparingly before deciding he wanted a larger, more traditional tourer frame - so he bought another FW Evans and hung this up. 35+ years later and his wife wanted a bike as they could no longer do the group walks they used to due to Covid. He suggested this, she didn't like it, it got listed for sale when they decided to use lockdown as an excuse to sort their garage and dispose of unwanted things to free up space.

He was genuinely thrilled that it was going to someone who would cherish it, and even more so when I 'enthralled' him with my local history knowledge, and how my dad used to ride past the Bluemels 'factory' on his way to work etc, etc...

According to the posts of others [ie. Graham], this would not have been available until early 1984, but - and with large respect to Graham - I think it may be from 1983.

I will fill details in another day when I'm more awake, but there are certain things on Graham's timeline which don't quite match in my mind, and for me 1983 would seem more correct. I think, as with a lot of things, certain inaccuracies have been given at certain points, a few gaps filled incorrectly, and then all is combined as gospel. Anyway, for another day!

Some pics before bed - they're shit pics, and I make no apologies. :LOL:

Attachments

• Ariake Jaguar.jpg
    Ariake Jaguar.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 914
  • Bars 01.jpg
    Bars 01.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 916
  • Bars 02.jpg
    Bars 02.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 914
  • BB Rear.jpg
    BB Rear.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 915
  • Bluemels.jpg
    Bluemels.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 913
  • Bottom Front.jpg
    Bottom Front.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 916
  • Cantis Stop.jpg
    Cantis Stop.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 914
  • Chainset.jpg
    Chainset.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 915
Re:

Attachments

• DS.jpg
    DS.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 928
  • Front 02.jpg
    Front 02.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 926
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 924
  • Lugs 01.jpg
    Lugs 01.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 924
  • Rear Half.jpg
    Rear Half.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 926
  • Rear Suntours.jpg
    Rear Suntours.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 914
  • Suntour Sealed Bearing 01.jpg
    Suntour Sealed Bearing 01.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 910
  • Suntour Sealed Bearing 02.jpg
    Suntour Sealed Bearing 02.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 928
Re:

Attachments

• Suntour Sealed Front.jpg
    Suntour Sealed Front.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 899
  • The Cut 01.jpg
    The Cut 01.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 900
  • The Cut 02.jpg
    The Cut 02.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 899
  • Top Down.jpg
    Top Down.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 896
  • Top Downjpg.jpg
    Top Downjpg.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 898
  • Snowdon.jpg
    Snowdon.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 897
Re:

Hey that's fab, even nicer condition than expected. Great score there.
Will you keep the mudguards? (hope so!) :)

Re:

Amazing! So glad this got snapped up by someone on here, I feel much better about missing out on it now.

I had a feeling all this needed was a good scrub, a really great example, sounds like a lovely couple you bought it off as well.

Enjoy, and if you get bored of it...

Re: 1983 / 1984 F.W.Evans...

legrandefromage":du1j2dp5 said:
Yates yate yates yates!

Thats my Yates song

The canti cable guide on the seat stays?

Gorgeous bike :cool:

Looks rad, the hub appears to have a 'ZE' date code on it which is from May 1983, every chance it could have been put together in 1983 in that case but double checking the mech date codes might point at an accurate date; obviously it's not from any earlier than the earliest made component.

CTK":g0ycfnku said:
legrandefromage":g0ycfnku said:
Yates yate yates yates!

Thats my Yates song

The canti cable guide on the seat stays?

Gorgeous bike :cool:

Aren't there another couple of early Evans with that treatment on here? I thought the Yates/Formula cable stop was more of a straight edged cross? Carl will have a good picture.

Re:

Yes, the Yates stop - on his frames made later than this one in any case - had straight braces for the stop, not curved.

The braces also went up to the centre beneath the stop itself - on this the braces finish outboard of the stop.

This pic will explain my words better I suspect.

Attachments

• xbracesm.jpg
    xbracesm.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 712

Latest posts

Back