Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:34 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:49 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Few more pics

Attachments:
File comment: Side view showing hose guide
Pic 12.png
Pic 12.png [ 2.79 MiB | Viewed 512 times ]
File comment: Chainstay Bridge
Pic 11.png
Pic 11.png [ 2.44 MiB | Viewed 512 times ]
File comment: longer of the two additional milling "Lolly Sticks" on the Seat Stays
Pic 10 .jpg
Pic 10 .jpg [ 1.55 MiB | Viewed 512 times ]
File comment: Focusing on Head tube
Pic 9 .jpg
Pic 9 .jpg [ 1.44 MiB | Viewed 512 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:34 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I can honestly say the support I have received with the restoration has left me lost for words at times and believe me I am not often found to be like this

I've had original components gifted and sent to me from not only within the UK but also from as far away was New Zealand and Canada (Thank you so much again Rich Matthews and Adam Bentham). As well as the repairs from Dan, I've had a magnificent refurbishment of my Magura brakes from Baz Napierski.

This post will showcase another amazing "One-Off" donation as well as showing the quality of the anodising of the components sent to Acorn Plating

Whilst researching the authenticity of the bars I contacted Renthal. It was not only fantastic to receive a quick response but to also hear that there are a few Pace fans in the company. In fact Ian Collins sent me a picture of an RC100 he used to own with a truly stunning Linear Finish paint Job (will add a pic). Renthal and Pace have a long-standing association with one another with Renthal previously producing the Sub RC 130's. Many a Pace owner has these fitted to their 100, 200 and 300's as well as many other bike owners

I was discussing the condition of the 130's with Ian and he mentioned that he personally wished to help me with the restoration. It is very much on a one-off basis based upon the heritage of the F1 I am restoring. I have taken a video and pics of what Ian sent. They haven't seen the light of day for many years and to now have them to fit to the bike Richard once raced so successfully is truly fantastic

I will hopefully be soon updating the thread again as Tim Price (aka Fork English) has completed the refurbishment of the forks. This leaves me so close and the outstanding items are:

1. Re-Chroming of A-Head stem- Currently in Hand with Dan Chambers
2. Straighten original Seatpost- Again with Dan and giving him a bit of a head scratching moment
3. Decals - Working with retro decals on this (fantastic that he not only lives relatively close to me, but is also a Pace guru as well as being the retro decal person that Carlsberg made)
4. Wheel rebuild - Fit NOS Pace rear hub as well as fitting decals

Fingers crossed I will be in a rebuilding phase soon

Video of the bars:
https://youtu.be/1ed6qII7Lz8

Attachments:
Showing Components.png
Showing Components.png [ 2.78 MiB | Viewed 505 times ]
Pic of Bars.jpg
Pic of Bars.jpg [ 2.42 MiB | Viewed 505 times ]
Bar Ends.jpg
Bar Ends.jpg [ 2.82 MiB | Viewed 505 times ]
X lIte Wheel.jpg
X lIte Wheel.jpg [ 2.78 MiB | Viewed 505 times ]
X LIte Seatpost.jpg
X LIte Seatpost.jpg [ 2.71 MiB | Viewed 505 times ]
File comment: Stunning RC100 with Linear Fade paint finish
GW692H524.JPG
GW692H524.JPG [ 72.75 KiB | Viewed 505 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:28 pm 
BoTM | rBoTM | rider
BoTM | rBoTM | rider

Absolutely bloody gorgeous...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:48 pm 
Old School GrandMaster | Rider
Old School GrandMaster | Rider

Relentless niceness!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:52 pm 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

Stunning Dave. Now I understand why the nars are so lush and fresh.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:17 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

The Forks:

I think I have mentioned previously that Rich Matthews came into possession of original components from the forks by the person who immediately owned it after Richard Thackray called Adam Bentham. The moment both Rich and Adam found out that I now owned the F1 and my intention was to restore it to as original state as possible they both didn't hesitate in offering to send to me all the original parts they still had, which was some undertaking considering they live in New Zealand and Canada respectively. This saw Rich return the stunning purple fork crown complete with titanium bolts and the two fork stanchions. Adam returned the Titanium Royce Bottom bracket which went off to Royce for a factory service and is now back and looking amazing

So the Rc35's on the F1 when I bought it went to the subject matter expert on Pace forks, Tim Price (aka Fork English). Tim has done a simply stunning job and in getting the forks to the condition you are going to see has stripped and rebonded the stanchions, fitted new elastomers, give them a good clean and finally fitted set of original NOS decals

I am so very grateful to Tim for parting with his second to last set of these super rare items. I know it was a decision that was not an easy one for him to make and they truly finish the forks off and provide the genuine authenticity I am so hoping to retain. I know I am being ever so slightly biased here but these are just looking simply stunning. Tim himself sent me these two pics and titled them "British Icons" and I completely agree with him

At the outset my aim was to showcase the expertise and craftsmanship of those who have helped me along this journey and Tim's work now joins that list. Another expert who I have no hesitation in recommending to others and as with everyone else who has helped so far a great guy to boot

Many thanks again Tim as without your kindness and generosity the forks would not be as good as they are now

Attachments:
IMG_0179.JPG
IMG_0179.JPG [ 159.64 KiB | Viewed 350 times ]
IMG_0178.JPG
IMG_0178.JPG [ 148.33 KiB | Viewed 350 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:29 pm 
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider

I’m so pleased for you David, Tim has set a benchmark on these forks, stunning!! :shock:

All coming together nicely my friend...any more components you need to get other than the decals??

Rich

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:34 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Rich wrote:
I’m so pleased for you David, Tim has set a benchmark on these forks, stunning!! :shock:

All coming together nicely my friend...any more components you need to get other than the decals??

Rich

Im really approaching the final hurdle now Rich. There is the stem and seatpost in the hands of Dan Chambers. Gil is kindly going to both rebuild the wheels and look to produce the frame decals that will then see Richards former F1 ready to be re-assembled

Exciting times and getting ever closer to being able to reveal it restored

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:58 am 

Im excited to see what Dan can do with the seatpost...I blame Adam’s ample backside for that bend :lol:

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:32 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Rich wrote:
Im excited to see what Dan can do with the seatpost...I blame Adam’s ample backside for that bend :lol:

Ha ha ha I’m sure there is a perfectly credible cause that didn’t involve Adam sat on the bike at the time

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next