1980's Peugeot Urban Express Project

kunioak

Retro Newbie
Hello! I am new to this forum and looking forward to any advice I can get regarding this build.

I recently purchased this Peugeot on Craigslist for $150, but was refunded a $50 because of the cracked hub I discovered when I got home and took a closer look. I was very inspired by Isambard's Cycles Puegeot Canyon Express project, so I searched for one. I could only find this Urban Express in the US, so I settled given its decent price. I like the blue color as well.

There's a lot of original on this bike, but some obvious changes the previous owner made.

As you can see the rear hub is cracked, allowing to spokes to move freely. Huge bummer! Haven't had any luck with sourcing an original hub, but the idea of mismatched hubs makes me queasy. Any ideas?

Will update with more photos as the bike progresses. Photos here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQPyKh3

Thanks!

Re:

Cool 'older' Pug! A long way from Europe too! You'll obviously need a new rear wheel - I often see Suntour screw-on freewheel rear hubs on Ebay USA - check the spoke count is what you need, take the whole lot to your local friendly bike shop who'll whip the freewheel off, re-lace your original rim to your new hub and pop the freewheel back on. They might have to alter the axle width on the new hub which'll mean a few extra $, unless that's something you can do if necessary.
Meanwhile you'll have stripped cleaned and polished everything else in preparation to get the wheel back and get her up and running! Keep it original if you can, it'll turn heads for those that 'know'.....if you know what I mean?!
My small bit of advice anyway. Feel free to paint it pink with yellow dots, add crazy sand tyres and a lithium-ion battery pack for giggles

Re:

Absolutely love the Peugeot Express' in their various incarnations.

Looking forward to seeing progress on this one :cool:

To cold set or rebuild a rear wheel?

I could use some insight on the most cost effective route here! As the photos indicate, the rear hub cracked due to corrosion and has freed up a few spokes. Given I don't really want to ride with 3-4 loose spokes, I need a rear wheel replacement.

I have been told by a few friends to get the frame cold set to fit a 130mm hub. I have a wheelset, same Araya 7x rims but with a 130mm hub, that I could put in place. This wheelset is running a 7 speed cassette, so I will either need to get a 6 speed cassette, or a 7 speed shifter and derailleur.

Other option, remove the existing hub from the rear wheel, procure a 126mm 36h freewheel hub, procure the spokes, and employ someone to build the wheel.

I'd say the wheel build including hub, spokes and labor will be about $225 USD. I have no idea what the cold setting process will cost. Those component upgrades are probably $100 USD or less and labor to install is probably $25 USD.

Not sure what the best route here is! Open to parts recommendations and which route is the best to go. Problem solvers...have at it!

Thanks all.

-Nelson

Re:

If you have a 130mm wheelset and you want the cheapest option then cold setting all the way, but it's not the easiest and you lose a bit of originality if you care about such things.

Argos over here charged £50 for this, which i guess is about $80 and they aren't known for being the cheapest, however you have to completely strip the the bike down to the frame. I've no reason to believe you couldn't get the same service for a similar price over there.

Find a frame builder and ask them, you can then work out the best option for you. It's your bike so only you know what suits you and your needs.

Re:

They are really long stays on that pug and i reckon you will be just fine spreading those dropouts a little when you put a 130 hub in. You are only looking for 2mm each side and each side will move within 1mm of each other which you, the gears or brakes will not notice.
Without a hub in the dropouts i bet there is a good 5-10mm of flex available, on each side, before any tube or joint experiences undue stress. Cold setting is a process for more rigid structures and lighter tubing than your pug with its thick walled long stays.

Back