Bontrager Ti-Lite '96 - Build Thread - DEFUNCT

Cool, nice to see another Bontrager Ti-lIte, this was mine ... which probably the subject of my first / early post on joining this site back in 2005...

bonty titanium by JOHN WILLIAMS, on Flickr

If your interested in review the is a test in
(U.S.) Bike Magazine,
and also a well illustrated feature in MTBPro.

I got Keith Bontrager to autograph the bike frame whilst at a 3 Peaks race. I had been riding a Bonty OR Race with Mag 21s before getting this, and really enjoyed riding both. Unfortunately for me the drive side chain stay weld cracked whilst riding , so had to be retired / archived. Eventually it found a new life on via here going off to a new owner in France who got it repaired.

If I can get the Bontrager Weinmann Red/Blue labels - I'll use them instead.
The FIR are the ones used by Orange on their R1 wheels - but I don't think FIR called the rims R1 - or did they?

Nice story there Tangent - and good that the old OR got repaired.

Parts collection continues......
I'm picking up a Bontrager Blue Label rim later today and these arrived yesterday......

todCo7n.jpg

Postman delivered a set of XTR M900 cranks yesterday - they'll need a little smattering up - but have definite possibilities

Also managed to pick up a Bontrager Blue label front wheel :)
The rim needs tidying up - but it's there or there abouts

yYVq25o.jpg

Any chance of some close up shots of the welds on the frame? I'm quite intrigued by the weld just below the seatpost clamp and those gussets around the head tube... I am assuming these were required as the tubes are thinner than the average and needed beefing up at critical spots...?

Re:

Dongward was asking about my gussets. :oops:
I'll get pics of the seat-tube etc next time it's sunny :?

c8ul6Kf.jpg

In the meantime - rear mech ready to go - and a couple of options on the cranks. If I go with the M900 I'll be getting it stripped and re-ano'd before it goes on here.

WL2Z4wk.jpg

mjmxV3A.jpg

Pm6szfL.jpg

WANTED
Bits I need to help this along are:-
M900 rear canti brakes

From memory the XTR stuff is polished, anodised, transfers, then has a 'milky' clear coat applied. You may be able to cut back some of the scratches with very fine paper, masking off the logos of course, as a preferable alternative to trying to match a complex finish.

Re:

Just waiting on a brand new Smoke/Dart combo to land..........

And I think I can almost start putting it together.....

Initial build will probably use the Tune cranks - and whichever wheels I can cobble together at this point.
Otherwise - a fairly complete M900 groups and Bontrager/Titec bits

Back