1995 Kona Explosif

Re: Re:

RD-Dan":uglhqeib said:
my garage is a bit of a disaster area swapping parts around beween 3 different bikes

I've been slowly paring my collection of two wheeled contraptions down this year. Some of them I've owned a long, long time. Currently I have 7 cycles of various types and 7 motorbikes. It used to be a hell of a lot more. And I live in a tiny two bedroom house. Big shed though...

I have currently 5 rideable bikes and 2 frames (though 2 of those bikes have shown up in the last couple weeks.

1989 Bianchi Super Grizzly (will not be for sale)
1990 Kona Explosif Custom Frame, will be selling this now
1995 Kona Cinder Cone (for sale, only had it a week)
1995 Kona Explosif (just got it, not going anywhere)
1997 Kona Kilauea Special Edition
1997 Raleigh Avalanche frame, nothing special but It was my first somewhat real bike and I have owend it since new, though the frame is all thats left.
2010 Kona Cinder Cone

What a difference a day can make....

I ended up swapping the Sugino mighty crankset back on, I think its lighter and nicer than the XT M739 anyways, and I felt bad using a nearly NOS crankset, will likely sell it on.

Things that changed last night
- syncros stem and handle bar
- replaced the grip shift and Kona levers for M739 XT.
- Deore XT rear derailleir (in place of the SRAM X9)
- Deore V brakes in place of the ritchey cantis.
- A new wheelset (on it were mavic 217s with LX hubs) that was hand made in Canada by wheeltech (Sun rims with XT hubs)
- Panaracer gravel king tan wall 26x2.1 tires

I got in an hour ride, I need to put a new chain on it as I was getting a bit of slipping when putting the hammer down.

I really need to get a new fork as the red is killing me, really hoping to find a P2.

20200805-191406.jpg

20200805-191422.jpg

20200805-191415.jpg

20200805-201003.jpg

20200805-201011.jpg

Still on the hunt for a Project 2.

I did track down a set of Z2 lowers (same colour as my 97 Kilauea!) that had a cracked crown. I swapped the crown from the red Z5s on these for now. They do leak a tiny bit of oil on one stanchion but seem to do okay, for now at least.

Not sure if the blue is better or worse than the mis-matched red, but its on there for now

20200810-080410.jpg

ultrazenith":1zf64dwn said:
Very nice! What are the Gravelkings like?

I love them. Second pair I have run. I had some on a gravel bike last summer

They roll on tarmac really well and as the name suggests are great on gravel and hard pack.

Really loose and muddy are not its strong suit.

Very comfortable ride

Had a few rides on the "new" Z2s, they arent in perfect condition and one stanchion is leaking a touch of oil but a lot better shape than the Z5s. The Z2s are a place holder. Still trying to track down some project 2s if anyone has any laying around.

I do have the opportunity to purchase the ones below, but I believe that decal puts it into the early 2000s era? Were any of these triple butted or were they on lower end models?

I also broke a couple spokes the other night (stick I think) so the original wheelset with the Tioga Psychos are back on for now.

20200812-193821.jpg

Screenshot-20200813-073615-Messenger.jpg

Back