1981 and 1987 Moots Mountaineer Rebuilds

Re: 1982 and 1987 Moots Mountaineer Rebuilds

Great job Jim

Thought I’d better take my own advice and read some other peoples threads, love this Jim.

Two questions;

1. When/where/how did you get your hands on that fork with the double plate crown?
2. When will we see some progress on the ‘88 blue?

Thanks everyone!

Peachy!":279w2v2x said:
Thought I’d better take my own advice and read some other peoples threads, love this Jim.

Two questions;

1. When/where/how did you get your hands on that fork with the double plate crown?
2. When will we see some progress on the ‘88 blue?

I got the forks through my Instagram account. Always amazing to find that stuff.

The 87, which I actually think is a 1985/6 by serial number is repaired and awaiting a fork lengthening. I got super cool moots prototype fork for it. It has braze ons to direct mount the fork for 26” and 700c wheels.

Re:

Quick update. Apparently it’s a 1981. One of the first 50 Built. Strapping on the headtube and no serial numbers were only on the earliest Moots frames according to Kent Eriksen. Pretty cool.

Beautiful bike, some great details on the frame. Really like the tyres too :cool:

Re:

Hard to imagine sometimes what technology was like 30 ish years ago as you can easily get caught up in the moment. This however looks cool as hell.

Re:

Thanks again :)

So much was learned from this build. Interesting facts ...
- When I got the bike It had a suspension fork on it and I thought that was ridiculous ... how could it work on an old mountain bike? However it turns out the original forks or 410 mm axle the crown so this was inadvertently the first suspension corrected frame.
- The bike predates a lot of actual mountain bike components. So the cranks on it never would’ve fit originally. You had to actually use a special bottom bracket to make them clear the oversized chains days. Luckily wider bottom brackets would show up a couple years later. But at the time KE machined cranks to fit his designs.
- The tires on it are first generation panaracer. I totally lucked out and got a few sets new old stock. I really should takeoff those tires and put on something a little more modern for riding but he looks so cool.
- The deer head group on it is actually dated from 1982. Most people think it came out in 1983 but a lot of the stuff I find is actually dated earlier.
- The moots mounts on the frame are actually two different generations. You can tell by looking at the different strapping on them. The earlier ones are on the rear. The blocks on both are correct.
- The bars are actually made by salsa. One of the few components Kent didn’t make.
- It is one of the first 50 bikes made by moots. I have no idea where it fits in that order though.

Bloody hell. The blue one is cool, but the browny one is from a different planet, what a wonderful object to own, hope you ride it lovingly, sure you do. This isnt an old bike but effectively an antique to pass on to the next generation. Absolutely outstanding

Back