A dream realised: Kona Hei Hei 1993

mk one":1ljnih6c said:

Love the Murica paint job too. Always nice when you finally get the frame/bike you always wanted and it lives upto the dream. Great ETOE video, so much effort goes into it which makes you appreciate why these paint jobs are never cheap.

Re:

Ever since I first saw this frame, I noticed that the junction of the Seat Stay at the Seat Tube seems a little lower than other Kona frames.

I have seen this before on a Hot frame, but I can't currently locate the picture that I have on file - Alasdair my recall which Hot I am talking about.

Anyway, I have edited a couple of shots here to highlight what I mean; the other 1993 below is the next sequential Serial Number that I have on file.

1993 Hei Hei B18105_1a by Philip Mock, on Flickr

1993 Hei Hei B18136 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip

Re:

Very nice! :cool:
Were the Hei Heis made by Sandvik as the rear dropout welds and serial nbr look very similar to Sandvik-made 92-94 GT Xizangs?

Re: Re:

pipmeister":3tt9itsl said:
Ever since I first saw this frame, I noticed that the junction of the Seat Stay at the Seat Tube seems a little lower than other Kona frames.

I have seen this before on a Hot frame, but I can't currently locate the picture that I have on file - Alasdair my recall which Hot I am talking about.

Anyway, I have edited a couple of shots here to highlight what I mean; the other 1993 below is the next sequential Serial Number that I have on

Pip

Oh yeah, I see what you mean. Almost as if the seatstays were made very slightly too short and hence welded slightly lower down.

I've been thinking about the photo pip posted above. All the pics I have seen of 93 p2s are silver, did the hei hei p2 (not ti) come in black? I presume the customer had the option of triple butted or Ti. Anyone know?

Re:

Rather surprisingly, the Hei Hei isn't listed on the 1993 U.K. catalogue specification page - although there is a double page picture of a 1992 model with full Titanium kit.

The 1993 U.K catalogue does document the Project Two Triple Butted in Black on the component page; see below.

The 1993 U.S. catalogue however does have the Hei Hei listed on the specification page with Project Two Triple Butted forks, but with a suspension fork option; e.g. Joe Murray Z-Link.

1993 U.K. Catalogue Page 12:
1993 Page 12 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip

Re: Re:

Great find that page from 1993.
quote="pipmeister"]Rather surprisingly, the Hei Hei isn't listed on the 1993 U.K. catalogue specification page - although there is a double page picture of a 1992 model with full Titanium kit.

The 1993 U.K catalogue does document the Project Two Triple Butted in Black on the component page; see below.

The 1993 U.S. catalogue however does have the Hei Hei listed on the specification page with Project Two Triple Butted forks, but with a suspension fork option; e.g. Joe Murray Z-Link.

1993 U.K. Catalogue Page 12:
1993 Page 12 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip[/quote]

Superb. Thanks pip. I totally missed that page when last I saw the catalogue.

So indeed the P2 option was black....looks better IMO. I have a couple of pairs in silver, may pay the powder coaters a visit, and contact gil for some decals.

Back