1992 San Andreas Mountain Cycle

Re:

50069688743_51da0b8108_c.jpg

Quick back end mock up to ensure I don't "Jump the Shark".. Hubs and spokes changing as you know, need to think on the seat collar (USA only obviously and colour needs discussion) . I think the seat post should stay raw to offset the saddle.

Re:

Nice parcel from the postman this morning. Bought them quite a while ago from the States, but the vendor would only post within the US. So got them posted to my cousin in New Jersey. He was due to come over to see us in June but didn't (for obvious reasons), so he kindly posted them.

50071476661_ba44b49355_c.jpg

Very early rear Prostop . Interestingly different to the Mk1 front calipers

50071687978_3fc4ee8e45_c.jpg

Those Pro Stops - they are so early they look semi home made with the style of hand writing on them

Gonna be very special this one ...

Retro Spud":3mj3w56g said:
Gonna be very special this one ...

I hope so....just got to take my time with the spangly bits and not overdo it :shock:

Did a socially distanced visit to Gil_M earlier in the week so he's on the case with decals.
And I've decided to have a crack at anodising. Not for the major parts as only Acorn will do but fancy trying it out on washers etc.

yakboy":3kyixxlb said:
........... I've decided to have a crack at anodising. Not for the major parts as only Acorn will do but fancy trying it out on washers etc.

now your talking - If I lived even within 50 miles I'd be keen to visit and see how its done.. but as I'm almost 4 times that away your quite safe

Retro Spud":15om7ngg said:
yakboy":15om7ngg said:
........... I've decided to have a crack at anodising. Not for the major parts as only Acorn will do but fancy trying it out on washers etc.

now your talking - If I lived even within 50 miles I'd be keen to visit and see how its done.. but as I'm almost 4 times that away your quite safe

I am less than 50 miles..... can I come and film it?

Peachy!":29dsxgxi said:
I am less than 50 miles..... can I come and film it?

Just spent all day watching tutorials and getting a kit list together but if you want to come and film my first attempt you are most welcome but if you get closer than 2m I will hit you with my social distancing stick :LOL:

Signing in for updates :cool: Anything with a US theme is fine by me :p Loving the seat too!

Brave man dunking that Bullseye in caustic though :shock:

Re:

Right then...how to achieve stars and stripes in anodising.. Just ordered some star stickers to mask when anodising...but you all know my love of Caustic Soda, so I thought I'd reverse anodise with the waste around the stars...so masked up a test piece.....

50075267077_f951284be9_c.jpg

Excuse the squashed up appearance...Flickr has done something weird..

Anyway made up a super strength hot mix of caustic soda(remember kids always pour granules into water...never the other way around :shock: )and using a cotton bud carefully removed the anodising, washed thoroughly in water and....

50075244302_7213b12a47_c.jpg

Really happy with the results, I think masking before anodising is probably the way to go as the risk of getting caustic soda on bits you don't want to strip is too great, especially on a lovely freshly anodised piece ..but it's proof of concept anyway... So just need to work on an anodising rig and start on some small pieces.

Back