1997 Saracen Maxtrax Overhaul

BillUp

Retro Newbie
Hello all, and thank you for creating this amazing and ultra helpful forum. I have been scouring this forum for over a week now, and I am so thankful it exists, or I would be stumped on a lot of issues I have encountered, after deciding to overhaul my Saracen Maxtrax from 1997.

I first purchased the bike from Halfords in Maidenhead in 1997, and have owned it ever since. I think I paid £699 for it. Back then that was a lot of wedge for me lol. I rode it for years mainly on the road, but took it off road whenever I could. I loved that bike and still do. After suffering from mental health issues (depression) I let it go into a state of disrepair (or so I thought). I left it in the garden for years. So much so the bind weed completely covered it up, making it vanish from sight, hence why I forgot about it. I'm now 48 years old, 17 stone, and feel like shit. I hate running as it does my knees in, so I decided I need to get back out on the bike.

I was going to save for a second hand one, but then I remembered I had the Maxtrax. I thought it was going to be totalled and irreparable, after sitting in the garden for many years. After digging it out of the undergrowth, to my surprise I was amazed just how good the bike had held up. The frame is 7005 Aluminium, and the rest of the Aluminium parts have stood the test of time weather wise. Of course there are a lot of parts that have completely perished. The tires, chain, seat, grips, brake pads, and all the cables need replacing. Yet everything else seem to be in good health. Obviously it all needs to be stripped down, cleaned, inspected and serviced.

Now while I'm a competent home mechanic, I don't really know a lot about the upgradability of the running gear. What parts I may be able to replace for more modern ones. I know I'm very limited. So if out of the kindness of your hearts you can help me in any way I would be overchuffed. Below is a list of questions I could really do with some help. I'll start with the most important ones, and as I tick them off I'll go with the less important ones. I have watched many videos on YouTube, read this forum for any advice about the Maxtrax of which I found these posts...

Another Forum Users Overhaul: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=140745

The Shimano Parts Catalogue for My Bike: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... gues/1997/

The 1997 Catalogue With My Bike in it: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/1 ... n_1997.pdf

I mean you absolute legends finding these :D

First Off is it possible to change the crankset to something more modern and to maybe a 9 speed as they are more widely available? The teeth on my chainrings have had it from years of abuse, and I am struggling to find new replacements. The crankset itself seems to be fine. The chainrings are 22/32/42 on the 97 Shimano Deore LX Crankset.

Second, am I able to replace the Shimano rear cassette with maybe a 9 speed, even 10 speed? I have had a look behind the cassette, and there does seem to be a spacer, so I'm not sure if I am able to put a more modern one on with more cogs, and in turn do the same at the crankset end? Would I have to replace the front derailleur as well doing this, and the gear shifts? To be honest I am fine with 24 speed, its just if I can "upgrade" I would like too.

The third issue is the wheels and tires. The wheels are 26'' and the tires are Ritchey Alphabite 26 2.1. Now I have done some research here as I was confused why my wheels were only 22'' in circumference, and what I found is this goes way back. What the 26'' takes into account is the profile of the tire when fitted. So the wheel is 22'' and the tire is 2.1'' top and bottom, making the 26''. I know I'm teaching you to suck eggs but I'm proud of myself for finding that out :LOL: Now I know I can no longer get the Alphabites, so was looking at other tires. My rear wheel has a slight buckle, and both have some loose spokes, which I will sort out (hopefully) as I really can't afford to buy new wheels and tires. I would rather refurbish the wheels, which are in good condition apart from the slightly rusty spokes. My wheels (Mavic 238 559x17) are 17mm wide, and apparently that is quite narrow, but what I have read is I have some leeway here. I could get anything from 26-1.75 to 26-2.4 and they should fit. I have seen some lovely Michelin fat tires, or the Continental ones. Still most of them are 27.25 inches so my choices are limited.

Wow I knew I would do this. I have written a essay. Let me finish here for now. I'll post a few pictures. I am silly as I should have taken some pictures of the bike complete, and as I found it in the undergrowth lol, but I started to strip it down, before I had the chance. I thank you for any help you can give. I thank you for this amazing forum. And I thank you for reading this to the end. I'll buy a Retrobike T Shirt and Sticker pack if you read the lot lol. :cool: :LOL:

PS If you look at the last picture, you can see I am missing the bottom cover on the left gear shift SL-MC38. If anyone has one going spare, I have the cash waiting.

IMG20200606081226.jpg

IMG20200602023348.jpg

IMG20200601190032.jpg

IMG20200605055304.jpg

IMG20200606081529.jpg

IMG20200606081553.jpg

IMG20200601190208.jpg

IMG20200606081308.jpg

Welcome fellow Saracen nutter! I say that with best regards as there appear to be a few of us on here.

You've got a bit of a diamond in the rough there. Not the toppest of specs but a sweet original bike that's well ensconced in the retro era we all love and wax lyrical about. I can identify with alot of what you've written and as a fellow Saracen Nutter I've got a recently rebuilt a Saracen Tufftrax frame from '95 with some newer, but old to me, parts and my pride and joy Saracen Kili Team with full XTR and soon to be PACE forks that I've been building and rebuilding for 6 years so far.

Happy to help where I can. First off you've started the right way, strip down clean and check parts for saving before tossing the trash. Cables (inner and outer) are probably rusted and seized so I'd remove them but keep the outers because they can be handy for sizing the new cables. Lubricate things as your putting them back together. Chain oil, teflon grease for moving parts and lithium grease for static items.

Next the chain, where your chain rings and cassette are likely worn the chain will have "stretched". A new 8 speed cassette and chain would be the quickest and cheapest route to getting the bike up and running.

I'd suggest getting the bike up and running with as much of what's on there and upgrades can be considered later.

eBay can be a great hunting ground for original parts but I wouldn't be shy to use non standard where you can. Sunrace for example manufacture transmission parts that hit the old trifecta of Cheap, Strong and Light (You used to have to pick two and go with that). Beyond eBay the internet can be your friend for a bargain or Youtube guides on How to rebuild stuff. I if you have a bike shop locally give them a try. They can help with little snippets of invaluable info and the occasional hard to find spare and usually love to just chew the biking fat with customers.

All of this can be as expensive or cheap as you make it. It looks to me like you have a decent bike there after some TLC so I'd concentrate on re-commissioning what you can before going down the route of upgrades.

There see, it's not difficult to wind up writing an essay. Welcome to your new addiction!

Hey Dirt and thanks for replying :D After I started taking the bike apart, and writing a list of parts I needed, I thought I really need to clean everything, re-grease and put everything back together. Ride it for a good few miles, and see what really needs to be changed. If it doesn't need replacing, then I will keep it. The parts that do need replacing - tires, chain, brake pads, grips and seat, I'll spend that little bit extra on. I have no idea if the cassette, chainrings, really need replacing until I ride it again. So I will certainly take your advice and do the above.

The seat is ripped, the chain was ceased and rusty as hell, the brake pads worn flat, and the rubber on the tires perished. All the cables are rusty, so they all need replacing. And as times have changed since the 90's, I need to get a helmet as well lol.

My other underlying issue is the frame. While there is no rust or corrosion, the frame is pretty scratched up. And because it is chrome plated, its going to be a bugger getting the surface scratches out. The one thought I had was to polish the frame as best I can, then cover the worst of the scratches with carefully selected stickers. Add a bit of colour, and then put some clear frame protector over the stickers, to stop them peeling and seal them in.

I am really looking forward to getting this back on the road, and getting my weight down. Nothing worse than self loathing lol :LOL:

Thanks for you advice dirt, and thanks for accepting me into the Saracen family :cool:

1997 was a good year for Saracen, the Kili range was great! I was working for a Saracen dealership over that time and nearly bought the Kili Ultra, but went Zaskar LE in the end.

Good luck with the build.

Sorry for the late reply malt. I tried posting back to you but kept getting SQL errors lol. I love my Maxtrax, and will spend a few quid getting it back on the road with a few modern touches. The only reason I won't take it to bed with me, is the 26 inch wheels. Compared to more modern MTB's it just doesn't cut it.

You wouldn't believe the hassle I have had first trying to get tires for the 17mm inner diameter rims. Took me days to get to a point I was happy buying some (Vittoria Barzo 26x2.10) the same size as the ones that come off the bike from original. All the websites I read have all said the most I can go is 1.75 tires for a 17mm rim, but no way am I going that small. Its a mountain bike FFS. Not a racer.

So I decided to build a new set of wheels with a bigger internal diameter. I was looking for a rim with a 21mm ID. No chance. So after 3 days of constant searching I found a set of 25mm ID rims (Ryde Andra 40 rim brake). I'm hoping to just swap out my hubs and build the wheel around these with new spokes etc. These rims fit right in the middle of the acceptable tolerances.

The bike is completely stripped now. I'll post some more pics shortly.

Re:

I loved my Saracens .. then Halfords did a dealership and they went pants .. coming good again now tho.

Good luck with your build.

Re: saracen maxtrax

I still have said bike in my shed.
Selling for £150.
See my original post if interested.

sorry to bump an old thread but can you remember what seat post size it takes? i have a frame im about to build up but one thing im struggling with it finding the correct fit post..

Back