Disc brake conversion - 92 Alpinestars

Falkster

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all - in the time I’ve been inactive my ideas for my Alpinestars build have change quite a bit. I’m now thinking (as per other thread) 1 x 9 and I’m now thinking of converting it to disc brakes.
The back looks pretty straight forward but the front not so much. Is there a specific way to do this or is every fork set up need a specific fix/conversion.
The bike has mint Manitous 2 which I don’t really want to weld onto - I do have the original brand new forks still in the box from 1992.
What would you guys do?
Cheers
Chris

Re:

It's your bike and I'd generally encourage a custom build.

But, for me, keep it as it is, a-stars are getting hard to find in good shape, especially
the chunky 1992 cro mega.

Get a bmx for single speed and modern brakes. ;)

Why discs? Are you entering races with it? Get good compound pads and it'll stop fine.

As you can probably guess, I've got my conservation head on.

Or at least, owt you do, try make it 100% reversible. I will sleep better. :)

Maybe get some cheapo forks to faff with, disc related adapters can make
some folk nervous when dealing with 20-30 year old frames.

Re: Re:

marc two tone":i3mtqx30 said:
It's your bike and I'd generally encourage a custom build.

But, for me, keep it as it is, a-stars are getting hard to find in good shape, especially
the chunky 1992 cro mega.

Get a bmx for single speed and modern brakes. ;)

Why discs? Are you entering races with it? Get good compound pads and it'll stop fine.

As you can probably guess, I've got my conservation head on.

Or at least, owt you do, try make it 100% reversible. I will sleep better. :)

Maybe get some cheapo forks to faff with, disc related adapters can make
some folk nervous when dealing with 20-30 year old frames.

I was thinking build it standard but as a kid I always wanted 3DV bits so I’ve collected a lot of them and had the frame coated silver. I’ll update my build thread when I’ve got more pics.
I fancy discs just because I thought maybe bigger wheels and discs would suit it.

Re:

I've retro-fitted discs to a few retro mtbs, and probably the easiest/safest method would be to use Hope hubs and discs /calipers. Anything else is a bit of a bodge tbh.
However finding all the right bits of the Hope puzzle can take some time and money.

Re: Re:

jimo746":2hwrjj6w said:
I've retro-fitted discs to a few retro mtbs, and probably the easiest/safest method would be to use Hope hubs and discs /calipers. Anything else is a bit of a bodge tbh.
However finding all the right bits of the Hope puzzle can take some time and money.

That’s good to know - the bit that’s concerning the most is mounting the caliper to the forks. I think there’s a decent adaptor to attach the caliper to the rear. I’d like it to be reversible so don’t really want to weld. If I have to I’d use the rigid forks to mount the caliper rather than destroying my Manitou 2s

You have some generic adaptors to put in the rear dropout like the A2Z one.

But if you whant stop power, put some Avid SD7 or XT 737 and good pads like original or cool stop diferent compounds, it is amazing how much power they have.

madjh":1esmj2pc said:

But if you whant stop power, put some Avid SD7 or XT 737 and good pads like original or cool stop diferent compounds, it is amazing how much power they have.

+ ceramic rims would give even better braking.

There is a clamp for the forks to fit disc brakes, dont really know anything about compatability with different forks etc, here is a link to a thread with pics of clamp, may be other types/makes of clamp as well ... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4869

Back