bontrager or

vincenth

Retro Guru
I bought this 1992? bontrager or frame from another member last november.
It needed 2 small repairs: a tiny hairline crack on a weld on the chainstay and a tear in the seattube.
It took a while but the reapairs are finished and I had the frame and a specialized direct drive fork powdercoatet in british racing green.
I'm taking my time to finish this one and will try to update as a sort of personal log and for those interested.
Below I've added a picture to show roughly which way I'm going. Most components will be mid nineties, some early nineties and a few new. My goal is to keep a classic look but a slightly more 'modern' ride.
For the drivetrain I have sachs quarz cranks and rear mech, front is likely to be xt m735 as the sachs quarz mech is top pull and works inverted. shifters are nos sachs wavey, no idea how these function but will find out. bottombracket xtr m900. Chain and cassette (alivio) will be new.
hubs will be hugi rear and white industries front, both laced to mavic X221 rims. tyres will also be modern. Skinwall or not, I don't know yet.
seatpost: use ti
stem: for now specialized
bar: titec ti
headset: nos stronglight delta (had to file down the fork crown from 27.0 to 26.4)
sadddle: either flite or turbo
canti's: dia compe 987
brake levers: ideally dia compe ss5
pedals: modern steel cage flats
Last but not least, and here is where I could use some opinions: At first I was convinced about the decals: red and yellow for a rasta finish but I'm afraid it won't do the classic look any good. Yellow/sliver is what I think will look best now, what do you think?
As you can see I don't care much about period correctness or groups but I hope to build a quality bike that performs and has the right looks.

Attachments

• IMG_20200209_112050.jpg
    IMG_20200209_112050.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 508
Re:

Where was the tear in the seat tube?

I think maybe you should be using a long seat post in the correct diameter if it's been repaired, rather than a shimmed USE one.

Easy enough to pick up a 420mm long Syncros post in 26.8 I reckon. :)

Re:

It went a few mm horizontal from the bottom of the incut at the seat clamp area. I've had a small piece of metal welded over it.
Thank you for the advice btw, I'm by no means a heavyweight but better safe than sorry.

Re:

Almost finished and totally different (much better) from what I had in mind.

Attachments

• bontrager klein 2.jpg
    bontrager klein 2.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 276
  • bontrager klein 1.jpg
    bontrager klein 1.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 274
Cool, top tube decal is on backward though, the OR should be at the front.

Re:

I checked the sales thread and it is indeed your old frame.
I've done a couple rides with it and as long as it's dry this will be my main bike.

Re:

Very nice. Glad you got one sorted out finally, I seem to recall the last one you tried had a few holes in it.

If you want to sort the decals out I've got a couple of spare sets, but not yellow ones

Back