1995 Claud Butler Titanius White Industries FINISHED pg21

Re: 1995 Claud Butler Titanius #F4100632

Retro Spud:37hq7ddq said:
Okay this is a new one on me - your placing normal sticky Decals on a frame that’s soapy wet and they stick :shock:

I just can’t square this in my mind - all instructions I’ve ever followed for applying normal self adhesive decals have insisted the surface is clean and dry

TBH it’s as old as the hills, window displays, car window tint etc etc all use the wet application method when applying permanent adhesive vinyl graphics.
If you search on YouTube you will find hundreds of Americans who will explain to you in the most long winded & ham fisted way just how to do it.
Most will use a spray to mist the water & detergent mix, normally directly on the vinyl, but a kitchen sponge onto the tube works well enough… you get loads of time to place the sticker exactly where you want it & no air bubbles (important obviously, when applying large clear blocks)

Anyway.. I wanted to fit at least one thing on it today, so where better to start than with the Head set?
A nice, boxed, VGC (almost NOS) White Industries aluminium Ahead one in fact, weighing in at 97g with sealed bearings… it even had it’s groovy sticker.. not sure where to stick it though? ( the graphic) IMG_5777.jpg IMG_5750.jpg

Last edited:

I’ve been a good Peachy, so was allowed a "no job fun day" today… meaning I can do the jobs I want to do… one of which was cracking on with the Titanius :D

First on the list, get it in the stand… to help with that, I used an old aluminium generic seat clamp donated from a 1998 Cro-mo Cape Wrath frame, it cleaned up well and matches the White Industries hub QR’s I have nicely… This was used to clamp a huge 400mm “Mike Muz” type Mid 90’s NOS (& boxed) Tioga chrome seat pillar, possibly a bit more BMX style than planned, but it looks great and with a layer of copper grease, slipped in perfectly..
1.jpg

Right…Next….
The White Industries Titanium BB, now these are normally quite pricey, but I had been watching a boxed lightly used one with Italian threaded aluminium cups, it sat there for months, all forlorn….
So, a cheeky offer via a direct message to the seller secured me that at just under half the price of a British threaded version. Why? Because I had already bagged a slightly damaged pair of British WI aluminium cups without the all-important clamp collars for peanuts. (very pleased with myself)
2.jpg

The instructions reminded me of something that I had already heard that these BB’s give no quarter, they are so precision made that everything must be spot on, threads clear & shell perfectly parallel etc.
3.jpg

My fine brass suede brush made short work of the rusty remains of the outgoing Shimano to be followed by my trusty Cyclo BB tap… lovely..
4.jpg 5.jpg

6.jpg 7.jpg

Then to deal with the damaged cup, I’ve got a feeling this may have been on the receiving end of someone not realising you need to remove the collars first..
8.jpg

Last edited:

Quick wet & dry with 1200 grit and a wipe with MAAS to seal & protect the raw aluminium and we were back in business.
9.jpg 10.jpg

Weigh-in before install….
11.jpg

With the aid of the all-important copper grease (as I’m installing aluminium into God knows what), these cups screwed in super smoothly by hand, absolutely perfect. The joy of these cups are that they don’t act like a regular BB, they tighten against the frame with no silly locking rings or pin tools as they don’t dictate where the axle lives, you just need a lovely big spanner…simple.
12.jpg

The axle positioning and therefore the chain-line are controlled by the locking collars, these are held in place by 3 allen keys accessed though a hole in the cups.
13.jpg 14.jpg

15.jpg 16.jpg

Having recently played the role of Goldilocks and the three BB axles on a number of builds just to get the chain line right, this system seems to me to be absolute genius!

Last edited:
Re: 1995 Claud Butler Titanius White Industries group #F4100632

Spent the morning cleaning up a set of Sugino produced WI cranks..

And I was almost happy with the result (the Japanese casting alloy is a bit soft so more difficult to get a super mirror finish), so I popped into the house for a brew and a kneb on the site… and Mynchiboy had posted these real WI cranks for sale…. :shock:

Well you can guess what happened… 🤦 IMG_5837.JPG IMG_5838.JPG IMG_5839.JPG

Last edited:

Top job old boy - starting to properly take shake now

The replacement cranks do look prettier

Retro Spud":3q1n3cd2 said:
Top job old boy - starting to properly take shake now

The replacement cranks do look prettier

Cheers Spud.... but as usual, another build stalls... :roll:

Got to source some rings for the above, but I want to wait till they are in my hands so I can double check the BCD...

Brakes are missing some sleeves....
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=412282

XC600’s are waiting for an ahead steering tube...

All I can do is polish up the rims whilst I wait for new spokes & nipples.

legrandefromage:1p8z173z said:
110 BCD by the looks of them

Yes Mynchiboy says 110 & 74....

I've taken a punt on this, hoping its a 110..... seller says it's 104, but I thought that was a 4 bolt size? s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

legrandefromage":3gmusvgo said:
looks to be 110

That's what I thought...find out soon enough....

Back