93/94 Miyata Valley Runner Alloy

redblue

Retro Newbie
Just got my first 90s MTB since I was a kid. Lucked out on a lightly used Miyata Valley Runner Alloy from 93 or 94 for 45 euro.

Nicely specced with 24 speed XT, hidden under a full kit of racks and mudguards. Everything worked flawlessly without any new parts or adjustments. Unfortunately it lacks some decals from the down and toptube. Anyone know where I could find some?

It rides great, but is a bit heavy. I would guess most of the weight is the oversized frame. Getting it lighter with period correct parts would probably be out of my budget.

Attachments

• miyata (2).jpg
    miyata (2).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 560
Re:

Nice bike you may want to change the chain set for a xt or something
Lighter

It is a MY91 Miyata. Aluminium tubing and lugs in front triangle, cromo tail.

Elev12k":13q5ci74 said:
It is a MY91 Miyata. Aluminium tubing and lugs in front triangle, cromo tail.
Interesting. So the frame would be a 91 model? The bike seems to appear in a Swedish Miyata catalogue from 93.
https://happyride.se/forum/attachments/ ... eg.399034/
https://happyride.se/forum/attachments/ ... eg.399033/

Retrodecals didn't have the decal set available. Search goes on, perhaps I can find the white Miyata downtube lettering from a different model that looks the same.

Yes, that is interesting. The slooping frame design on the cover is the successor and available in other markets from 1992. Your early bonded frame with toptube cable routing, 1-1/8 headset, 73mm shell was 1991 only in the US and the rest of Europe (Koga-Miyata). What does your framenumber start with? It is in the headtube.

BoyBurning had decals made. Maybe ask him? I had white Miyata downtube decals made by Gil M a decade ago or so.

Attachments

• miy2.jpg
    miy2.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 460
Also interesting is that the bike in the small picture is a year earlier than your model.

Attachments

• miy1.jpg
    miy1.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 460
Re:

Frame number starts with TX05. Seems to be a 91 frame according to what I found on google. I suppose the Swedish distributor could have kept building bikes with the 91 frame?

Back