Covid Edition Rat 93 Orange Clockwork.

brocklanders023

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Bored, bored, bored........

Chucked this together just for something to do. The frame is snotty as hell but I got it a few years back as it's the mega rare colour, silver/grey, that I always wanted bitd. Reckon it's the rarest of the early 90's Orange colours as I've been hunting for a good one since I joined the site but non have ever shown up. Apart from this frame I've seen maybe a couple of equally tired small bikes. The original plan was to get someone to colour match it exactly then repaint but still haven't got round to it.

Anyway, I'd been thinking of building it to use as a gym/shop bike and today I had a spare hour. I had considered using a lovely XT groupo I have but decided the battle worn LX suits it better. I also like the cheeky use of a decent wheel/tyre combo, rare stem, tidy flight and smart Hot Rods.

Those of you that have been here long enough to remember my grey Clockwork with Maguras, this is the colour I was aiming for.

It is what it is and should get it finished soon. :cool:

Attachments

• 20200404_181849.jpg
    20200404_181849.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 865
  • 20200404_181729.jpg
    20200404_181729.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 864
  • 20200404_181653.jpg
    20200404_181653.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 864
  • 20200404_181635.jpg
    20200404_181635.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 864
  • 20200404_181624 (1).jpg
    20200404_181624 (1).jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 865
  • 20200404_181609.jpg
    20200404_181609.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 865
Looks good to me. I've one I was going get painted but thinking nah, just build it. Also LX with a decent Hope hubbed wheelset.

Although it has had some use, it still looks ace. But like I said, if I ever come across a mint fresh one, will let you know!

Love this lots

Currently have a massive soft spot for grey oranges, I possibly think

more than a orange and white fade these days

Certainly give that a home ;)

And as for the ground controls :oops: need them

Re:

Cheers all and keep your eyes peeled Cal ;)

It's a funny one really as the colour was available at the time the matt grey was for the 'O' but it's not the same. The C16 also regularly shows up in grey but that's powder coated and once more, not the same.

I'm surprised there were not more sold as if I remember the colour was offered just as schemes such as the loud orange/white were going out of fashion and it just looked so clean and light in the shop. Maybe Orange didn't order many? Who knows!

It would probably look better with the black Stalk I have in stock but the height and reach of the aluminium stem mean I might actually use it. Same for the barends, looks better without but it function over form with this shocker. :LOL:

Re:

brocklanders023":1pl9ocrd said:
It's a funny one really as the colour was available at the time the matt grey was for the 'O' but it's not the same. The C16 also regularly shows up in grey but that's powder coated and once more, not the same.

I'm surprised there were not more sold as if I remember the colour was offered just as schemes such as the loud orange/white were going out of fashion and it just looked so clean and light in the shop. Maybe Orange didn't order many? Who knows!
:

Looks good Ed.
Reminds me of the clockwork you sold me years ago, that looked ace when you built it up. I'd been aiming to get the build to a similar standard by had to sell before I'd even started due to change of circumstance.
Seem to remember that you'd had this powder coated to get near the colour of this 'original'. I definitely think there aren't many in this colour.... Love the 'patina' on this, I've similar on the Kili and would think twice before removing the character and history of the bike.

More lock down projects on the way?

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Re:

Yeah Ben, that's the one! Loved that bike but that was the colour from my memory and I always knew it wasn't quite right. This one has stalled as my bb tool is stuffed so need to order another. :roll:

As for other projects.... Possibly.... Got my eye on a few. ;)

Back