Trek OCLV Y-50 Dark Tribute Finished pg17

Re: Re:

yakboy":28iql1np said:
Friday night in Scarbados Hospital...you sure know how to live Peachy...hope they get you sorted soon.

Quite a smorgasbord of life to watch.... :shock:

Re:

What a shine!

You’re doin a top job with the bufferufferer!

Looking forward to see this develop...

Hope you get out of hospital soon... Scarbs not Marbs ey!

;)

Re: Look what the cat dragged in................... a ‘96 Y-TREK

Cheers chaps, my A&E carpark stub says 11hrs & 49min! They drained my knee at 2am, that was fun.... had to do it twice as first time around they got stuck in scar tissue left behind from a fight I had with a barbed wire fence at the British Grand Prix 1984 :LOL:

Peachy!":drx09me5 said:
Retro Spud":drx09me5 said:
Show us the buffer you used - and not a pic of poor old jimmy with a tube of metal polish in one hand and an old tea towel in the other

Have to be tomorrow, currently in Scarborough hospital waiting for intravenous Antibiotics, blood test, and a drain off of my knee for tests.... been here a few hours, but now the broken & bleeding drunks are rolling in......

Ok, so I had the afternoon free after seeing the fracture clinic consultant who gave me an almost clean bill of health (but freaked when I asked if I could get back on a bike today…. :shock: ) so I thought I'd have a bike play afternoon as “therapy”. ;)

Both my M950 crank arms for this project and my sons for his ’99 Marin have seen better days… the plan for his is a proper restoration, but for this project I wanted something a little different and this also gives me an opportunity to show Spud my shiny skills…. :cool:

First job, drop a bucket full of bits at my local sandblaster, not for sandblasting mind, just dipping. At £10 for a bucket, its so much cheaper than buying nytro-nomore and sorting out your waste disposal..
Picked them up on the way back from the hospital… stripping these cranks worked out at 50p each!

Next job…grade school… or “going through the grades” starting at 400 and not finishing until I’ve reached 1200, this mainly because these are flat parts and take a lot more work to keep sharp. I would normally stop at 800 for round ali parts as these are much easier to get a shine without worrying about losing a defined sharp edge…

Don’t be tempted to skip a grade, as Yakboy or any dentist for that matter will tell you.. you are only cheating yourself! :roll:

Next its on with the fun bit…. A coarse Heavy-cut soap on a medium mop.

Then a superfine finish soap on a soft mop…. Take it really easy at this stage, remember this is aluminium, you are basically trying to polish something akin to butter! If you push too hard, or don’t use enough soap or get it too hot the aluminium will “grain” and you will have to go back a couple of steps.

Final job, quick wipe over with white spirit, then polish and protect with MAAS and it’s wonderful aroma of lavender…. :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_4632.JPG
    IMG_4632.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 709
  • IMG_4622.JPG
    IMG_4622.JPG
    984.4 KB · Views: 696
  • IMG_4628.JPG
    IMG_4628.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 692
  • IMG_4629.JPG
    IMG_4629.JPG
    922.8 KB · Views: 694
  • IMG_4630.JPG
    IMG_4630.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 697
  • IMG_4631.JPG
    IMG_4631.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 706
  • IMG_4634.JPG
    IMG_4634.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 714

an education as always Mr P

How will you keep that shine, Clean Anno or a constant supply of regularly applied wax ?

One word.

Patina.

Re:

Good bit o' polishin' that, swinging arm especially. Have you seen the film Moana? Singing crab Tamatoa..... ;)

Seriously. Top job.

Cheers guys..... as for longevity of finish.... I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, stop pissing about and buy yourself some MAAS concentrated polish. It has an anti tarnish wax formula that protects and sustains the shine....

Latest posts

Back