Just a good ol' 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper

I saw this thread and it made me smile. I've wanted a steel Stumpjumper since they were first launched (YES that long!). A friend somehow managed to buy himself a 1991 Stumpjumper Team with XC Pro on it BITD and I promised myself I'd get one someday. I picked up virtually the same frame as the one in this thread a while back and have now tracked down most of a XC Pro groupset, with a few XC Comp extras to start putting it together. I'll get a headset fitted and then make a start on the build in earnest.

One question I'd welcome some views on is whether to fit the original forks, or some Pace RC35s which I'm about to strip down and rebuild? I've wanted to put some Pace forks on a steel beastie for almost as long!

Attachments

• IMG_2108.jpg
    IMG_2108.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_2109.jpg
    IMG_2109.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 169
Paulk964":1ocrgvp6 said:
I saw this thread and it made me smile. I've wanted a steel Stumpjumper since they were first launched (YES that long!). A friend somehow managed to buy himself a 1991 Stumpjumper Team with XC Pro on it BITD and I promised myself I'd get one someday. I picked up virtually the same frame as the one in this thread a while back and have now tracked down most of a XC Pro groupset, with a few XC Comp extras to start putting it together. I'll get a headset fitted and then make a start on the build in earnest.

One question I'd welcome some views on is whether to fit the original forks, or some Pace RC35s which I'm about to strip down and rebuild? I've wanted to put some Pace forks on a steel beastie for almost as long!

I say go with your heart, also you should start a thread of your build here in the Readers MTB section :cool:

Re:

Thanks! Very tempted to go with the RC35s - if I can get them working ok. I’ll be sure to write a thread and share some pics!

Personally, can't stand early pace forks, but love Stumpies rocking their original steel fork

Back