Project P7! Loft find! Completed!!!!

prezza

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I went from Durham to Yorkshire today to buy this beauty!

Proper barn.... I mean loft find!!!

Always fancied a P7.

It’s 1997 model 19inch Orange P7 and had been left in the loft of a house for many years. Serial number ends 96 indicating it was manufactured in 1996 for their 1997 models which will have been released late 1996 I’m guessing.

It’s in pretty fantastic nick apart from corrosion spots and laquer peel which they all seem to suffer from but it’s only surface marks.

Totally original and even the tyres look like they’ve seen minimal wear.

I’m planning on polishing the frame, applying new ‘Gil M’ repro decals and stripping and servicing it to be like new.

Maybe a Charge spoon saddle (brown or maybe funky colour?).

I have a mint period XT chainset, rear mech and V brake set in my parts box so might upgrade those but that will be about it.

Might change colour of decals from red to orange?

Thoughts appreciated...

Attachments

• 210E75D7-FA33-4ACA-81B3-9EFA9BC732EC.jpeg
    210E75D7-FA33-4ACA-81B3-9EFA9BC732EC.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 1,763
  • 99D63863-79A8-46B5-8151-34587861633E.jpeg
    99D63863-79A8-46B5-8151-34587861633E.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 1,760
Re: Project P7! Loft find!

Excellent! I'd be tempted to just change any worn parts & fit saddle & grips plus a good clean & service. It'll be great either way.

Re:

Does anyone know if you could choose the colour of the decals when new?

These are red but I’ve seen some with orange coloured ones?

If you could, anyone know what the options were and if they related to spec/groupset etc???

Cheers

Re: Re:

prezza":c3bnjngl said:
Does anyone know if you could choose the colour of the decals when new?

These are red but I’ve seen some with orange coloured ones?

If you could, anyone know what the options were and if they related to spec/groupset etc???

Cheers

Looks lovely!
I was wondering that myself about the decals as I have the same model with red decals.
I'm pretty sure yours is a 97 year

Re:

Thanks spibblo.

You’re absolutely correct... it’s a 1997 model (thread amended).

It’s exactly same as one in 1997 brochure on here.

The frame serial number ends with a 96 so I’m guessing it’s a 1997 model but was made in the factory in 1996 as they’d have brought the next model year out before the new year.

In the brochure the decals look more orange so I’m also guessing that red decals were just a run they did.

I’ll replace mine with orange ones as I think they look better and match the orange colours in the tin head badge.

Can’t wait to get this fettled as soon as I find the time...

Re: Project P7! Loft find!

Nice bike, but be aware of the damned nature of this kind of "brushed & lacquered" surface when attempting to make nice & shiny. Can be a real PITA, if the outer coating is peeling and the steel is exposed. If there's a good method to repair & polish/buff these surfaces (permanently), I'm yet to see it, but would be glad to do so!

Re:

The Sunn Xircuit’s are exposed and not laquered and I find that a good quality polish has kept mine pristine (autoglym). Although I only ride it in the dry in summer.

As for the orange... I’ve read on here that paint stripper is good at stripping the laquer peel off it.
I also know a local guy who can aquablast. He did the sprocket carrier on a CBR motorbike I once had and made it like new again removing the dullness and ingrained oil from the metal.
I’d have to speak to him first though to see how powerful the aquablast is, although it certainly won’t be harder than the metal and is not as abrasive as shot/bead blasting.

I’ll update the thread on my method and will enquire re aquablast once frame is stripped of components.

Back