1996 (?) GT Avalanche (?)

Cheers :)

I tend to use brush on rustoleum to paint frames - doesn't need a lacquer coat, and gives a good finish if you're patient applying it. The red and black I had left over from a previous project were a couple of years old and haven't smoothed out quite as nicely as when they were new, but it looks alright in the flesh.

The forks are indeed (going to be) black too - they're currently awaiting a second coat of paint.

I think it should look pretty smart. I'm taking my inspiration from a 2001 Zaskar paint job in the same colours.

If you need to smooth it a little to get more gloss to it you can use some abriasive polish like megquires scratch x 2.0

The head removal tool mentioned above can be made for next to nothing. I simply use a piece of electrical conduit, approximately 1 inch diameter. Using a small cutting wheel, I cut four strips into the end, and flare them out to fit the headset I intend to pop out.

Re:

The paint has come out looking pretty good after a bit of time to harden off. You can see that it's a brush on hand painted job if you look closely, but I'm cool with that. I might try and buff it up with a bit of car polish or similar to see if I can get a bit more gloss on it.

Unfortunately the BB spindle I scavenged for this bike was for a 68mm BB shell, and this frame is 73mm, so the adjustable cup screws in too far to get a lock ring on. I've ordered what I hope will be a suitable replacement spindle, but it's always kind of tricky to tell if the dimensions are going to work out until you've fitted the cranks! Time will tell.

Attachments

• FramenForks.jpg
    FramenForks.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 349
  • ForksnFrame.jpg
    ForksnFrame.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 349
I fitted the stem, bars, wheels and brakes last night. Getting the front brake cable to route through the stem, over the pulley and out the other end for the front canti brake was a royal PITA, but it does look neater than a headset mounted canti hanger.

The wheels need a good clean, the hubs in particular are pretty filthy, but it's not really an indoors job and it's been too dark to do much outside after work. Will post some more pics if I get the chance to spend some time on it this weekend.

The frame looks pretty massive with the wheels fitted, so I have a feeling this one's going to end up quite a bit too big for me. A shame as I was planning on using it as a nice but not-too-nice bike that I could leave locked up around town without stressing about it.

Unless it rides a lot smaller than it looks, I'll probably end up selling this one and converting my '97 Marin Hawk Hill back to gears from SS for the same purpose (toyed with the idea of fitting a bigger SS gear for town use, but then it'd be no good off-road).

Enjoying the build as a winter project in the meantime :)

Re:

Still waiting for the 73mm BB shell spindle to arrive in the post... But everything else is pretty much finished now.

Cleaned up the wheels and set the bearing pre-load properly on the rear hub, which was a bit tight. Headset now properly tightened up (although I always find threaded ones work loose sooner or later if used off-road), and canti brakes doing their thing nicely.

I think it's looking all right!

Attachments

• MockUpSide.jpg
    MockUpSide.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 309
  • MockUpFront.jpg
    MockUpFront.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 309
I think you are correct about the GT frame when you say, "rides smaller than it looks". It might look large due to the elongated top tube of the triple triangle geometry. I know my wife's mid 90s GT looks huge, bigger than my Hardrock, but she fits a medium and I prefer large. Hers has never felt large to me.

Back