Brilliant Regan! Thank you for taking the time to make this not only a lustful bike build, but also a first class build post. We can tell your heart is in it and the historical research makes it a great read. I think you just upped the ante for all of us. Looking forward to seeing it in its final form with some mud splatters ;)

ajsaunders":a56gy0gp said:
Brilliant Regan! Thank you for taking the time to make this not only a lustful bike build, but also a first class build post. We can tell your heart is in it and the historical research makes it a great read. I think you just upped the ante for all of us. Looking forward to seeing it in its final form with some mud splatters ;)
Thanks so much for both compliments Andrew.
I’ve dedicated a lot to this project and making the effort to document it here comes from reading many spectacular build posts that have gone before it.

I hope to get the bulk of building completed this weekend.

André Hefferli is sending me a NOS 36h Black Deore XT HB-M730 after seeing my wanted post on Facebook. He wants to be part of this build and owes me a favor so I’m stoked to be getting the final part from him. It’ll be here in Wednesday so hopefully my LBS can build the wheel by the weekend. I may enter into November’s BOTM if I can make the cut off.

Attachments

• 5C32FB0B-6481-4D7E-83BC-65DF5385ED12.jpeg
    5C32FB0B-6481-4D7E-83BC-65DF5385ED12.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 742
Re:

Well bugger me dude, it's taken me a day or so to properly get through and digest all of the info and history on your build.

I remember you telling me about this a while back and I was intrigued, I didn't realise you had to decide whether or not to sacrifice another yeti in order to create the frame though, that must have been a hell of a decision.

But my word you're doing it some true justice, I do hope you take it to some events next year when its completed, as seeing pics online certainly aren't a patch on seeing something first hand!

Keep up the good work dude, it's looking amazing!

Splendid job Reg! The attention to detail is unprecedented and I really enjoyed the initial write up as well. Thanks for all of your support and encouragement during my project. You definitely made my build much more enjoyable through your enthusiasm and fellowship. I have no doubt that your bike is going to be one for the records! Enjoy amigo!!!

@EEF, @John Spud, thanks guys. If I don't have the balls to take it out, you're welcome to pop into the mancave for a cuppa if you're passing. (John I can't remember if you recently rode BPW, or if I read you planned to, so let me know, seriously, if you want to see it. I'm further south than BPW by an hour, but I'll supply the tea/coffee, you bring the biccies!) (A bit further for EEF, I know!)

@Jason, thanks bro. I'm glad you're enjoying it, as I did seeing yours. It's been a thoroughly enjoyable and pleasing journey together, but tonight I hit upon a little snag...

@Spud-Spud, yeah buddy, Enjoy.

(I'm also doing a time lapse video via GoPro. I hope the feck it works as I planned. This is a one-time only build. I KNOW IT;S NOT OG, but the effort is still definitely worth it. This, like Jason's is a spectacular replica of something that I believe is one of the most special mountain bike models there's ever been. And (like Bryn Cartwright says of his rugby pitch in Twin Town [the movie] ) "I built this from nithin', and Iiiiiiiii faa-xxin' loves it!!" :p ... ... ...

Spent a few hours on and off making some progress. I'm so disorganised I'm surprised I've not lost more than I have done - having a house move and moving lots of things from house to garage to attic to ne garden shed back into attic and about thirty new package deliveries for this build being stored in all corners of the house, and given my forgetfulness, things were bound to get misplaced or forgotten about! I've spent about four hours hunting for a couple of particular boxes or maybe a bags with a bunch of stuff. I still can't find a few bits including the XT rear derailleur and a pair of 3DV jockey wheels for this build, but I think I've got almost everything else, including finding stuff I forgot I'd purchased (my memory, again).

Anyway, cracked on with a few bits today. First job was peeling off the YETI C-26 which were placed wrong. That will be THE finishing touch to replace them (and all other decals).

Time got the better of me, so tomorrow I hope to get the rest installed except the front wheel which won't get built until the new front hub arrives on Wednesday, with cabling the final step. Maybe I'll use another front wheel to set up front brakes so it'll just be pop the tyre on, and finished by the weekend.

The timelapse film will take a bit of figuring out - I've never done one before and I'ev filmed practically the whole thing! It should be fun, but becasue I'm super slow at everything (and forgetful, constantly losing stuff despite best efforts to get organised), it'll need lots of editing.

Today's progress.

Look closely you'll see the original tubing which was chopped out. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• NOS SP-M730 XT seatpost.JPG
    NOS SP-M730 XT seatpost.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 637
  • C9 sticker & NORBA.jpg
    C9 sticker & NORBA.jpg
    764.1 KB · Views: 638
  • Kitchen Workshop.JPG
    Kitchen Workshop.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 636
  • Campy headset 1.JPG
    Campy headset 1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 633
  • Not even all the brakes for this build.JPG
    Not even all the brakes for this build.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 630
  • Pedals and more pedals.JPG
    Pedals and more pedals.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 630
  • Even more brakes.JPG
    Even more brakes.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 629
  • Headset In with Manitou crown.jpg
    Headset In with Manitou crown.jpg
    759.9 KB · Views: 635
From seeing Juli Furtado's Worlds build, but aiming for a later spec circa early/mid 1991, I thought I'd make a nod to her C-26 by also fitting black cantis on the rear (these are M34, Juli's were black M732). I'll run silver M734 up front (Juli's were silver M732)

'The Queen' Juliana Furtado aboard her C-26 riding to gold medal and rainbow stripes at the 1990 Durango Worlds.
Black rear cantis, silver fronts. :cool:

Black M734 rear cantis fitted.

This is the no-noodle Answer A•TAC that was gifted to me by Henning Hansen when I put a wanted ad out, knowing I'd be fitting the Manitou fork. HH is a fellow Yeti lover, from Norway. He woudn't take any money when he knew why I wanted it. The love this build has received is unreal! TAKK, HENNING! (I even wrote your name on so it's indelible and you'll never be forgotten, even when I'm dead and if the bike gets parted!)

For some weird reason which I've yet to reveal, the wedgewouldn't fit into the steerer, depsit it being correct (28 stamped on the underside) and I also measured to check. So I got the yellow A•TAC out from the box to check/compare. It's the same, but I swapped itanyway and it fitted. Weird!

Greased up the bars and gently prized the stem clamp open to slide in the yellow TaperLITE. I bought these NOS for my Alpinestars build, but I swapped them out with the silver HyperLITE bars that came on the ProFRO when I sold it to Matt. The dayglo Yellow TaperLITE is quintessentially Yeti componment. It fits so well here and contrastes, I think, perfectly with the silver stem.

(Full disclosure, I copied this whole cockpit setup from one of SecondSpin's C-26 builds, although his used a slightly different 'FTW' stem, but same color. It's just gorgeous and I couldn't get this idea out of my head after I re-found this article, but this time paying close scrutiny when researching for my build. Well worth a look HERE)

Attachments

• juli 1990 worlds c26 poster.jpg
    juli 1990 worlds c26 poster.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 636
  • Black M734 rears.jpg
    Black M734 rears.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 634
  • The silver A•TAC from HH.JPG
    The silver A•TAC from HH.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 626
  • The silver A•TAC from HH 2.JPG
    The silver A•TAC from HH 2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 624
  • Box of yellow bits& Bullseye cranks.JPG
    Box of yellow bits& Bullseye cranks.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 623
  • Bars fitted with ST-M095 brifters.JPG
    Bars fitted with ST-M095 brifters.JPG
    1,003.5 KB · Views: 622
  • secondspinC26cockpit.jpg
    secondspinC26cockpit.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 623
Grips for this build HAD to be ODI Attack. THE Mushroom grips! (Original versions came with a mushroom sticker!) And 'Designed by [my hero and Yeti C-26 racer] John Tomac'. Original versions have a closed end, as seenin the early advert below, which showed Tomac riding on his Yeti FRO. As most of you will know, when barends became the 'must-have' accessory in the late 80s / all through the early 90s, chopping the ends off your grips to fit barends was often a nightmare and looked scruffy if hacked badly! Tomac was sponsored by ODI and even had his name molded into the grips. He also ran with barends (but, bit of trivia for you, Tomac turned down a sponsorship offer from Onza founder and 'inventor' of bar ends, Dan Sotelo. Dan approached Johnny T, who thought barends were wacky and weren't useful, definitely not for him! A decision he went on to regret as Onza bar ends sold in the thousands and Onza made millions of dollars! Still, the Tomes would still go on to using bar ends (initially they were Onza bar ends, covered in bar tape to disguise them), which were upplied by and branded by Tomac's biggest sponsor, Tioga! The world's biggest star would never have a scruffy cockpit, so ODI launched the Attack Endless - specially molded with no ends.

I picked up this set of special bar ends Attack grips, which come with a separate, smaller diameter ODI Attack Mushroom grip specially for bar ends, NOS from a seller in the US - cheaper than they cost new in 1991! They have DESIGNED BY JOHN TOMAC molded onto the inner grip collars. :cool: (Later ODI Attack remakes don't have this molding, probably due to ending sponsorship with Tomac, who later in the 90s swithced to using ATI grips, ODI's biggest competitor!)

In keeping with the 'Team Yeti theme' and with this build being heavily influenced by Juli Furtado's C-26, I wanted Onza Titanium bar ends for it, just like Juli used on hers at the Worlds. This is the third set of Onza Ti barends* I've had in three years, but the first I've fitted to a bike! First set I brought back in my suitacse from the US in 2016, which I bought for the Alpinestars Ti Mega frame that I sold without ever building up, so sold the barends to a guy Down Under, who wanted them as the final piece needed for a stunning GT Xizang build :cool:. I'd bought a different set to these ones here, funnily from Jason, who didn't want them for his own so parted them to me when I told him I was looking. I gave him what he paid but promptly sold them on again for less, becasue I found this set, which has OG decals. The ones I had from Jason had a brighter, smaller, replic decal and different plugs, which different on very early models being plain aluminum, to plain plastic on later versions, to this more refined and definite Onza plug on these, which I much prefer the look of.

(*I am purposely switching spellings between barends as one single word or bar ends tow separate words, because I don't know which is right, but a bar en, is where you attach a barend, right? Maybe! This needs a debate and the OED to settle it :p)

The rubber end caps often perish on these or if used a lot, will wear down so you can't see the onZa logo or the textured pattern. These are really nice and clean. :)

I've adjusted the brifters slightly higher than if I'd ride them (!) so tat if the bar swings they won's smash into the top tube.

Looking at the finished cockpit from the rider's eye, makes me think that Henning spent way too long polishing that stem! I've got some new decals to fit, but I'm gonna buff it a bit with wire wool / soft red Scotchbrite pads to take the shine off. It's probably lost all its anodizing so it's never going to look original again, but dulling the sheen is the next best thing I reckon.

Attachments

• NOS ODI Attack Endless set for barends.JPG
    NOS ODI Attack Endless set for barends.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 612
  • NOS ODI Attack Endless JOHN TOMAC.JPG
    NOS ODI Attack Endless JOHN TOMAC.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 617
  • OG Onza Ti barends.JPG
    OG Onza Ti barends.JPG
    959.3 KB · Views: 619
  • Finished cockpit.JPG
    Finished cockpit.JPG