1992 Marin Team Marin

konacarl

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I bought this a few weeks ago on here. I'd been after a Team Marin for a while and it took a fair old trip down to Brighton to collect it. Promised the missus a bag of chips at the seafront and all was well!

This is the original advert viewtopic.php?p=2969068#p2969068.

I thought I might salvage the paint but unfortunately the paid was coming off in strips as I removed the Onza and Mint Sauce stickers that someone had applied :evil:.

It needed a fair bit of cleaning and quite a bit of stuff was gunked up and stuck together which might have helped to protect some of the components.

I stripped the parts off and cleaned up the shifters/levers, brakes, seatpost, bars stem and headset. Binned a few bits that were low end/knackered namely, the chain, driveside crank and grips.

I needed a rear mech, cables, driveside xtr crank, Ti saddle and seat clamp also a wheelset and some grips.

Someone I know offered to blast the frame and get it powder coated which was great. We agreed on getting the blue done and I’d look to get the green back end sprayed afterwards.

Re:

Some pictures of the frame and forks.

Attachments

• 3A28099D-C5D4-4F22-9C59-EACE8D6DE7C3.jpeg
    3A28099D-C5D4-4F22-9C59-EACE8D6DE7C3.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,303
  • F0F0E928-CB18-44B8-983F-200F3FA3C2A3.jpeg
    F0F0E928-CB18-44B8-983F-200F3FA3C2A3.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,303
The bottom bracket was stuck fast. I tried just about everything to move it to no avail. Eventually I managed to malform the non drive side in a vice which broke the rust seal. Hammered the spindle out and got to work with a hacksaw on the drive side cup. It took about 2 hours but I wasn’t giving up on it.

Re:

The Frame and forks have come back from blasting And powder coating. They’ve done a a good job except its signal green and was supposed to be in a dark blue and I’d planned on using a neon green on the back end. As the original frames were painted blue over the green I see why they’ve done it.
I’ll get it stripped again and look to paint it myself or use a friend in the Motor trade if he can get the paint easily.
In a fit of depression I’ve cracked open the autosol and cleaned and polished all of the components I have.
Hubs and rear mech arrived in the post so I gave them a go as well. It’s surprising how cheap people sell stuff when they can’t be bothered to clean it first.

Attachments

• 1B9313A3-5ACC-4637-96B4-AA3F6D7123CC.jpeg
    1B9313A3-5ACC-4637-96B4-AA3F6D7123CC.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 1,223
Re:

Great. The larger size too. With the 183mm steerer forks.

It'll be all worth the effort in the end. My favourite marin year.

Ironically the same paint scheme was shared with the bottom end bolinas ridge.

I will check in for updates.

It will looks like new. Looks promissing. The bottom braket looks like it was a nightmare.

Great frames, if i could find another in my size i would buy it.

Im sure it was more a purple than blue though :?

Back