1990 Specialized Stumpjumper "63XC" - A Fixed Gear Project

Re: Re:

mynchiboy":vyvoh839 said:
. I am still searching for a Surly fixxer, but they're hard to find. Maybe try brazing up a cassette hub if you're brave?

I used one of these to convert a Shimano freehub 700c Spinergy wheel... https://www.walker-brothers.co.uk/produ ... b-adapter/, the supplied axle is 120mm, but you could easily change it out for 135mm, its just a nutted axle.

This build is making me think about trying fixed off road too...

Re:

The nights are drawing in aren't they?

Looking forward to a full bike photo when it's finished :)

After I finished the build yesterday evening, a ride this morning was inevitable.

Its fast if I kick it down the fire road but nimble on singletrails - its the first time I rode a Stumpjumper and I am quite impressed by its character. And thanks to the massive chainstays nothing feels flexy in the rear ... I will get it out in the forest more often this winter, for sure.

firedfromthecircus":3v5gjydf said:
How was the experience of riding fixed when you are more used to ss?
Well, the biggest difference I experienced while climbing. My impression was that the rear end stays on track better then on my singlespeed, possibly its just the tire but I guess the power translation into the rear wheel also changes the feeling. But expet from this I have to take it to some more rides to determine any real differences.

Of course I didnt throw in technical singletrails or steep downhills today - something to do for another day :)

Back