1997 Kona Lava Dome - Singlespeed

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Thanks to another MacRetro member I am now the owner of a 1997 Lava Dome frame :)
I've had a couple of the 98 frames in the past, and really liked how they rode.
This will be built up as a Single speed, initially at least.
The frame is in great condition, so all I need to do is throw some parts at it, photo below shows the beginnings of a green/red/yellow build.
The Manitou SX Ti forks have a disc mount, so with an adapter (due to the old-fashioned post mount spacing) it's possible to run disc brakes, and an A2Z disc adapter should fit the rear. Disc would be my preferred option, but initially I might fit v-brakes as I have those kicking around in my spares box anyway...

Attachments

• 20191013_172210-709x399.jpg
    20191013_172210-709x399.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 1,299
Thought I’d better start paying attention to other brands/builds.... to expand my knowledge :)

Re:

Don't look too carefully, it won't be a "period correct" "build, some parts may be, others not, all depends what I can find in my box(s) of bits :)

Re:

So, it turns out mounting disc brakes to the Manitou SX fork is a bit trickier than I thought. They use an old 69mm post mount spacing, so more modern brakes won't fit.
Fortunately there is an A2Z Manitou post mount to IS adapter available :D
Unfortunately it's also a +20mm adapter as well, so the Hope Mini No. 3 caliper, which is usually for a front 180/185 rotor will now need an even bigger! rotor :facepalm: I don't really fancy sticking a massive dinner plate rotor on a retro hardtail...
So... I think a No. 5 caliper, (designed for 165mm front) will be needed, along with a 185 rotor.

Anyway, this is what I mean (that's a 180mm rotor!!)...

Attachments

• DSC_0648-506x897.JPG
    DSC_0648-506x897.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 1,020
Re:

Looking good so far! I too am a fan of the '98 range. Oddly these never seem to have the mega flaky paint which seems to curse the Reynolds tubed frames in particular (Kilauea and Explosiv)

Surely the urge to go with a full on Rasta build is strong... :?:

Re: Re:

mynchiboy":1n7cqnvy said:

What constitutes a full-on Rasta build though??

I do have some parts ready to go on it.... Red bars, yellow Raceface Turbines, red Ritchey SPD's etc, might even go for Rasta coloured spacers for the single cog rear :LOL:

Re: Re:

jimo746":1196zjym said:
mynchiboy":1196zjym said:

What constitutes a full-on Rasta build though??

I do have some parts ready to go on it.... Red bars, yellow Raceface Turbines, red Ritchey SPD's etc, might even go for Rasta coloured spacers for the single cog rear :LOL:

I guess that's the problem...where do you stop :facepalm:

I reckon you have nailed it TBH with the rest of the build choice. A couple of my rides have red/green/gold/black bolts all over the shop. Never been brave to push my Rasta urge further though...

Re:

Got a bit of work done on this today, things arent srt up yet and there's still quite a bit to do, chain/cog/tensioner, and brakes, I'm not happy with the Hope Mini number 3 calipers because it means I have to use massive 203/180 rotors, I'll probably look for some mono/minis with number 5 calipers and use smaller rotors.

A quick photo before it got dark...

Attachments

• 20191110_162331-590x396.jpg
    20191110_162331-590x396.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 767
Back