1993 Kona Hot - Red fade.

Re: 1993 Kona Hot - Red fade

Sounds perfect. I have a bit of a fascination for purple frames and a lot of a fascination for Kona's, especially ones that get good use so that's right up there in my books. I'll add 'purple '91 explosif' to my list of wants.

Re: 1993 Kona Hot - Red fade

Been a while since I posting, so thought I'd give a few of the upgrades that have been happening in the background.

One of the longest term bugbear was the bottom bracket that I resorted to fitting. Since I couldn't get the chainline to work, with a UN71 with the Sugino XP cranks, I ended up using a 118mm UN55 - this added extra weight which I could noticeably feel. Ti bars and a hefty BB wasn't a good combo :? However with some good fortune, and without paying full ticket, I managed to find a Royce Ti BB which should complement the build very nicely.

[If anyone has a Royce fitting tool they feel like loaning me, it would be handy]

Next up on the weight saving list was the M737 SPDs which as great as they are, are also known for heavy spindles. I'd been on the hunt for some Ti replacements whilst reading about the defective versions along the way. However, when some nice 6A/4V replacements made by Giant came through, I jumped at the chance. Should be good.

Last, but by no means least, end of last year I managed to find a nice original 93' TB P2 fork.

Whilst I already had a matching stem and fork combo, which was an exact professional colour match, I'd also an original chromed Velocity Stem stored away which was sold on to me by Steve T, from his departed 93' Hot, which had undergone a respray by DeKerf before being sold on [See early pre-build pics]
So once the opportunity came, I was able to go jump factory finish matching US 93' catalogue specs. Not heard from Steve T, since he was recovering from poison ivy, and after being avid poster he hasn't been on the forum for a few years. The build is therefore a tribute to him.

M5 bottle cage bolts also carefully sourced (Ti) :facepalm:

Attachments

• Kona Hot_P2 fitted.jpg
    Kona Hot_P2 fitted.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 775
  • Kona Hot with splines_P2 fitted.jpg
    Kona Hot with splines_P2 fitted.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 775
  • Royce 118 Bottom Bracket.jpg
    Royce 118 Bottom Bracket.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 775
  • 6A4V Titanium M737 Spindles by Giant.jpg
    6A4V Titanium M737 Spindles by Giant.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 776
Re:

Thanks for the kind words Al. It was a great moment, I’ll always remember, when this came my way from the US. Other bikes may come and go but this will be a keeper.

Unique but as original production by the same token.

Re:

looks great. this bike was another one that from Rhode Island before sitting in a garage in Maine for quite a while. same original owner as Als flame painted Kona Hot. truly is a small world

Re:

And a very big thank you for parting and shipping them to the UK!

It's quite amazing that these limited production frames all heralded from the same location. And the climate of Rhode Island might also explain how they survived very well in the condition that they are for the last 20-25 years.

The subject of Kona UK v US v German variants of the same model, and how they came to be, has been referred on the forum a few times but not visually documented. That would be interesting.

Re:

Pretty stoked to receive this today. Only 3 years since first post! ;)

#Cheers! Ride on!

Attachments

• 75ABC323-650E-43A1-A002-4FD58F5185D2.jpeg
    75ABC323-650E-43A1-A002-4FD58F5185D2.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 357
Re: Re:

romanrinos":3hutqcoa said:
Pretty stoked to receive this today and with it being just over 3 years since first post

#Cheers! Ride on!

Now that is cool :cool: . Nice thoughtful touch; as if featuring your bike wasn't enough :) .

Pip.

Re:

romanrinos":3s7igio0 said:
Now that is cool . Nice thoughtful touch; as if featuring your bike wasn't enough .

Pip.
Thanks Pip

Some further shots added here and revised spec with upgrades now added on past thread Page 3

Attachments

• 1993 Kona XC Pro Seat tube.jpg
    1993 Kona XC Pro Seat tube.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 254
  • 93 Kona Hot_Axo2.jpg
    93 Kona Hot_Axo2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 254
  • 1993 Hot_Oblique2.jpg
    1993 Hot_Oblique2.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 252
  • 1993 Kona XC Pro.jpg
    1993 Kona XC Pro.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 251
  • 1993 Kona Hot Front.jpg
    1993 Kona Hot Front.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 252
I like that build a lot! Looks balanced w/ classy traditional choices. Love the suntour seatpost and the whole front end of the bike. IMO first class vintage build.

Back