New build for the wife...do you think she'll appreciate it?

secret_squirrel":20nmch5n said:
I like your fork clamp mod for the vice :)

I noticed that, but did you clock the subtle Mantis logo’s hiding in plain sight behind the bearings ? almost Masonic stealth

Attachments

• 2BFB670D-F97C-4A5C-99B8-A0B37AFEAF59.jpeg
    2BFB670D-F97C-4A5C-99B8-A0B37AFEAF59.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 978
Re:

I recognise that. Much to my disgust when the Cunninghams sent me that brochure they stuck an address label over the front page.

Can't complain too much, I doubt there's many Mantis brochures out there.

Re:

Well with the BB in I thought I prep the cranks. Rejuvenate the lettering and a polish (first time for everything :facepalm: ).

48774312272_192be8519c_b.jpg

Got them looking pretty good. Always liked the look of these cranks and thought they'd match the Syncros theme elsewhere on the bike.

But it was not meant to be. What a fiddle and a faff! Syncros are 44T and given the frame design and lower brace the front mech sits high....won't work with MD! Can't use a low mounting FD either ....brace gets in the way. I mounted some crappy old rings to check...spent hours prating about :oops: it was never going to work. The front mech is about impossible to adjust because of where the suspension sits.

48774312832_947dd42685_b.jpg

So what to do. From magzine articles I know M900 cranks work. Found a set with good rings on fleabay for under £50. They needed a good clean (some black gunk...may have been painted) and got the polish out again :facepalm: (really against my nature, so I don't go for high shine, glossy finish)

48773774783_ea30e28436_b.jpg

After an afternoon of fiddling...they are nearly there...still movement to top ring is not great.....ho hum, but I have the whole winter to fiddle! I decided these Pro=floaters are not for the faint hearted.

I hope she appreciates it!!!

Re:

Still need to get the front mech properly soeted.
Was going to use Gripshift 900 and ESP 7.0 on the rear until I discovered, for some reason (I bough them a few years ago) I have two 8spd shifters, even though the stickers would indicate one is left and the other right! :facepalm:
So scrap that and back to Gripshift/Sachs Shimano compatible with XT rear mech on the rear to match the front. She prefers Gripshift.

Brakes have been done. Magura HS33. Her view is she likes to be able to stop! These should do it!

Quite please with the hose clips.

Back