First generation Extralite F1 build

Gerard

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
One of these popped up on eBay, Chris (Longrun) pm'd me as he thought it's resemblance to an AMP might appeal. He was correct.
Missed it the first time, but second time round, with a tenner off, I got it, for less than around for 5 in the local pub!

It had been painted in a British Racing Green...not my colour of choice for MTBs, and not an original colour. It is a thick coat! So I started some research. Extralite are still going, and Itilian company, and they have a lot of info on their website. I also found and advert in one of my MBUKs from 1997.

Choices......... :facepalm: (I did post a threat asking for advice). My thinking was either bare alumium, which give the lightest outcome, EXtralite pride themselves on the weight- All nuts & bolts are Ti from the factory. I decided on "Yellow"which was the original colour offering and the one from the MBUK ad.

F1%20x%20sea.jpg

Original Specs.

F1%20x%20paper.jpg

MBUK Ad

Extralite Ad Nov 1997 MBUK

But which yellow...what is the actual colour. Email to Extralite and bounce back saying on summer holiday, but next day another email with the RAL number...Brilliant info. RAL 1021 - AkzoNobel powdercoat. They also still have the original decals, which were duly ordered.

medias

That yellow is going to look great.

great - will watch with interest - my yellow F1 frame sits in the shed and waits to be build.

Re:

So parts have started to arrive.
Decals came fairly swiftly from Italy, and they are NOS. Hopefully they will stick okay. I went for the red edging as I thought that would offset against the yellow well.

Red is a colour which is likely to be involved in the build. I like colour in my bikes! Thinking of using these which arrived last week.

I'm still not sure what to do at the front end. The bikes in the ad show Pace Forks (RC36 I think) but I have a set of SIDs on the wall. While I know they are a little later....the weight makes them attractive.

Re:

So more parts have started to arrive for the build. I still need to get the frame off to the powder coaters, they are based in Malden Essex, just need an excuse to be in the area!

The back end needs rebuilding. Extralite still service these frames and forks. I am currently trying to get a returns authorization and confirmation of the address to post to! I think a big bike show in Europe has distracted them.

Anyway for wheels I was thinking along these.

I think those hubs will suit it well. The Pace forks would go with them too, if you are using red parts though then the Manitou EFC in the pic above would look great.

s-l1600.jpg

I'm awaiting delivery of this. Apart from a lack of Horst link, elastomer springing, the quality and the lightness it's not much different :LOL:
Seriously, how much travel does the Extralight have? I wonder if there'd be any chance of upgrading my elastomer to an Extralight coil over? Maybe I could fabricate a new set of "seat stays" to make it fit :cool:

Back