New build for the wife...do you think she'll appreciate it?

Gerard

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well she not a great fan of creepy crawlies.....so I though I might change her mind with a Mantis.

Bought this a while a go and it arrived with a damaged (dented) head tube. thankfully Dan (Danson67) was able to sort it. Paint is not great but I quite like the metallic green so though I'd leave it for the time being and build it up.

Mantis

Fair play you go for naturally pretty - elegant looking frames

Looking forward to seeing this one built,

It has possibilities. Love the colour. I had an Amp B3 in that colour - this sorta reminds me of it. Any recent purchases going on it :)

Retro Spud":tahyzf60 said:
Fair play you go for naturally pretty - elegant looking frames

Looking forward to seeing this one built,

Thanks mate. Love these frames.....just a bit too small for, though I will take it around the block for testing. :LOL:

secret_squirrel":2sdih45m said:
It has possibilities. Love the colour. I had an Amp B3 in that colour - this sorta reminds me of it. Any recent purchases going on it :)

Thanks Gordon. Love AMPs (I have 3 of them).
The items I have been stock piling from recent purchases are going on a different frame, similar but more resemblance to an AMP.
Extralite F1.
I will do a separate thread on it.

Well drive train and setting thing up is really one the most frustrating things I've done. Makes a Rubik's cube seem like child's play.
More photos to follow once I have moved them from Google photo rubbish hosting!

Which way you taking this? Catalogue correct or build up with spares?

Peachy!":1rb8eqoz said:
Which way you taking this? Catalogue correct or build up with spares?
It was going to be from the parts bin in my garage of the era, but I've had to buy stuff.
They were really only sold as frames from the catalogs I've got.

Re:

So the plan is to uses as much as I can from the part bin, so to speak.
I have looked at numerous photos and mag articles of other Pro-floaters, so I had an idea of where I might go with the build.
I have a fair bit of Syncros in a draw so thought that might be a good start....finally a use for the 26.8mm seat post which has seen better days, but is fadded glory, like myself.
Syncros Cattlehead...bit later I know, but I think it looks the part. And then Syncros cranks, the aluminum jobbies, I think they will look great.

First problem....I have not 1" forks :facepalm:
Managed to score a couple of Mag 21's and between the two of them make a working set with 1" steerer...so on the way.
First up was a service.

Next was the BB. The early Pro-floater come with an integrated press fit BB. Ti spindle with 2x bearings held in place by 2 circlips. one bearing was trolled, so decided to replace both....nice new European made jobbies from my local friendly bearing supplier (which can be a substantial saving on the bike shop prices which usually sell Chinese/Korea ones).

Whilst the old ones were not too difficult to get out, getting the second circlip in, and seated properly, with new bearings was a challenge...finally all worked out. :D

Now for the cranks.......

Back