'96 Klein Pulse Comp build for my son.

DeoreDX

Dirt Disciple
Right now my son is riding on my dad's old Raleigh M50. The seatpost was frozen solid and my dad really buggered up the seat tube trying to get it out and it sat with part of a seat post in the seat tube for a dozen years. My son started really getting into riding and while we were over at my parents a couple of months ago my dad gave him his old bike. We got the seat tube out but the seat tube was flared really badly and didn't work right. I did some redneck engineering and got a seat post in that will hold his weight and have been keeping an eye out for a cheap replacement frame.

48358465906_6043976318_c.jpg

Managed to snag a XS sized Klein pulse comp for $50. A little rough looking but solid enough. We're going to strip the frame do a bondo in the couple of small dents and do a rattle can paint job and move all the parts from the Raleigh to the Klein.

His old bike needed a new Bottom Bracket so I picked up a new BB to go in the Klein.

The Girvin Vector II has a 1" steerer. I picked up some 1 1/8" to 1" head tube adapters to re-use the old headset.

New bike needs a front derailleur with a 34.9mm clamp. Sorry not going period correct just ordered a new Altus unit from Amazon so I could get it here by the weekend.

Also going non-period correct 160mm Suntour XCT Junior cranks.

So here is the before when it came in at lunch time yesterday:

48718006956_0cc06bf10c_c.jpg

CTK":2c7nb8l8 said:
Should be a cool bike. Are you going to swap to V brakes?

Swapping the front to a Magura hydraulic rim brake because I snagged a new one on ebay for $30. Rear is staying with the cantis.

Re:

Ooooh.... I just realized no Canti hanger on the rear :D

So I guess I'll be switching to Vs on the rear. I'll swap out his LX shifter and brake lever combo for a set of Altus 7 speed pods and tektro V brakes from another bike until I get a suitable replacement.

Used Airplane stripper and the paint came right off easy peasy. There is a ding on the tip tube you can make out in the picture I'm going to fill in with body filler. Will sand and hopefully get the primer coat on when I get home from work. Using Rustoleum Aluminum primer. I've never used it before but we'll see how well it works.

48719983521_a42a1b2a9e_c.jpg

Used body filler to fill in a couple of small dents. The largest bring in the middle of the top tube.

48731134488_6dd68b1053_z.jpg

48731644987_dac2881a87_z.jpg

A couple of coats of primer, several coast of base, and several coats of matte clear coat later. Hopefully I didn't just kill a big patch of grass in my yard :LOL:

48729847723_f36d63187d_c.jpg

Using my wife's Silhouette cutter I make some new Decals. Son was torn between red and lime green. In the end went with lime green to pick up on the hint of lime on his saddle (looks like the picture of his bike is with the old saddle). Looked like I lost a p! (I found it stuck to my forearm)

48729845203_9e7641fb36_z.jpg

Decaled and ready for assembly. I didn't reproduce the exact location on the frame as I thought the Klein logo was too far forwards so I put them on how I liked it instead of trying to reproduce a factory look. Also added a head badge even though the bike didn't have one at first. Now we have to start the process of moving parts over to the new frame from the old bike.

48730201902_7ff4b88820_c.jpg

Like the colours.

You could put a magura up front too to match the rear.

Doneish. Rear derailleur probably needs to be replaced. Brake housing I used on the rear is terrible and really needs to be replaced. Son loves it.

48740751246_0d1d72ce85_c.jpg

48740751256_4536263c0f_c.jpg

48740751566_0c10913581_c.jpg

Back