1991 British Eagle K1

pat_h

Dirt Disciple
My 1991 British Eagle K1. Photo from the wrong side but anyways. 99% sure it's Reynolds 501, 21 speed Deore LX
GCNs YouTube Tech channel have inspired me to refurbish it as a 1x gravel bike. It could give it a new lease of life.

IMG-5553.jpg

Re:

I like it, it has a lot of potential, and a decent spec by the looks of it.
Good to see these retro mtb's being given a new direction as the modern "Gravel" bike. Don't discount staying with flat bars with bar ends though, drops don't suit everyone or every bike build.

Re: Re:

jimo746":g3kp16rn said:
I like it, it has a lot of potential, and a decent spec by the looks of it.
Good to see these retro mtb's being given a new direction as the modern "Gravel" bike. Don't discount staying with flat bars with bar ends though, drops don't suit everyone or every bike build.
Thanks, I'll see how it goes. First will be taking a measuring tape to it and see how it measures up vs my road bike and modern mtb.
There is a lot of potential for giving them a new lease of life which is great. It was quick enough for me back in the day so would be a nice runaround.

Re:

If it gets you back riding it again then that can only be a good thing :)

I'll look forward to seeing the changes you make.

So, few proper photos. Removed all the junk. Patches of surface rust but doesn't look like there's anything too bad. Weight is 14kg
Measures up close enough to my road bike so I think I will convert to a 1x10 gravel bike

IMG-0535.jpg

IMG-0495.jpg

IMG-0498.jpg

IMG-0503.jpg

IMG-0505.jpg

IMG-0499.jpg

IMG-0532.jpg

So, I've been stripping the paint off. Everything looks ok, but ... the frame has these marks. Any ideas? Some exotic rust?

2019-09-29-12-06-47.jpg

Yeah the K1 British Eagle was 501 tubing, I had the K2 in a Purple & my mate had he K3 in black.
Defo take it back to its original glory....how are getting on with it?

It's already a gravel bike I reckon! The marks - rust worms. Fine threads of rust under the paint. They are usually visible before stripping. They can occur eventually even on unused frames from specks of untreated steel.

I've it cleaned fairly well and it's ready for painting. I've waited as the advice I've got is it's better to paint in warmer weather. If I can't get the garage warmed up I'll wait until later in the spring. I'm in no rush so may as well do it right.

Re:

Slow going on the respray, I waited until we had some nice weather and with lockdown have some spare time. I'm hoping with all the extra time I got all the rust off.

First and second coats of primer are done.
IMG-8456.jpg

Found the original brochure complete with prices. It has 531 tubing.
Here’s the 2 pages of K series and the full specs from the back page.

K1p1.jpg

K1p2.jpg

K1p3.jpg

Back