Topic deleted

Re:

Yes, nice work.

That rear hub is Joytech by the way. They're not top end kit but if it's still functioning well after all these years they must have been reasonably well made. (FWIW: Joytech also make the well-regarded Novatec hubs.)

Re:

SRAM was only founded in 1987 and didn't produce a rear derailleur until 1995, so your bike would not have had a SRAM rear mech originally. I can't see much point in swapping derailleurs if the current one still functions well.

Good to hear that the bike rides nicely. It's certainly looking good.

Re: 1980's Falcon Everest

Not much help but my K2 was mostly Shimano drivetrain components, a mix of mid range touring spec stuff and nicer Deore Deerhead parts. If you search on here you'll find some pics. The Everest would likely be lower spec but I'd still expect Shimano.

I reckoned the frame on mine was better than the kit, so I had an idea to upgrade to slightly newer SIS compatible kit - maybe Deore MT60? Depends if your peiority is getting close to original/period correct, or you just want it to ride nice.

At present yours has been "upgraded" to SIS but with entry level Shimano mech and shifter. These work well enough but Deore (or even Exage or similar) would be lighter, prettier and slicker.

But on the other hand as someone mentioned above, if it rides nice probably just as well to leave it alone!

Oldskool13":df28v04e said:
Although I'd be tempted to replace the Canti's with V brakes because one of the things I learnt was what pain in the bum cantis are to get right. I'm still not 100% happy with the back brake.

Have had similar experiences, and Vs are much easier, but "old school" wide profile cantis like the ones you have are usually not too bad and can work really well once you get them right. I have Shimano AT50s on my Dawes - these were also fitted to the K2 - and they work brilliantly set up right - much nicer than Vs in terms of modulation feel and control IMO.

Yours look like lee chis or dia compes? They can work pretty well IMO although it's been a while since I've used them.

Your straddle wires both look a bit long in the pictures, especially at the front...worth a bit of perseverance...exact position of the pads etc is also critical - you have to get everything right, and even then it's often a bit of a compromise, but can be satisfying if you don't completely lose the plot!

https://sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.html

I think v brakes would spoil the look of the bike, you dont need them as like above, if you take time and set canti's up they work fine.

Back