93 OCLV weightweenie Project *Latest weigh-in pg. 22*

Re:

My_Teenage_Self":74x0lzp5 said:
Tires:

SAM_0055.jpg

SAM_0056.jpg

Got a NOS pair of these. Trying to fight the temptation to fit Lightweight non-retro tubes! :oops:

And they've got 130g Air B tubes in them.

TBH, part of the challenge for this bike has always been keeping it period correct. I *could* fit a 100g modern saddle, but it kinda defeats the point, IMO. I'll happily fit modern tyres for riding it, but I put in the very first post;

"The aim is to see how light I can get a front sus early 90s bike, without going crazy or resorting to drillium"

I've put a cap on anything that wasn't available after about 1996. I've also since said that I am to keep it 24 speed, and more recently, with a set of hydraulic rim brakes. In essence, I want it to be a bike that could have been built and ridden in the early-mid 90s. I also want to ride it myself, so if things don't work, I'll change it. The first brakes were shocking - so the maguras went on. I'm not totally happy with the gearing, and that may yet change; the rear mech can't take up enough slack with the range of gears on offer and I can't get a happy chain length, which may necessitate changing the chainrings/chainset to a compact.

:) it wouldn't be fun if it was easy, right?

Re: 93 OCLV weightweenie Project *Shedding more weight*

My_Teenage_Self":ebdg6l7o said:
Do you mean the Alu machined Goldtech one?
I think that Gerard is correct that the Goldtech is Ali with Gold Ti Nitride coating.

I have an 8 Speed 11-28, which I've just weighed at 145 grams including an Alu Lockring :shock: .

When it stops raining, I'll take some pictures.

You are welcome to have it, if that would help with some weight saving.

Pip

if you can find an uncracked hope ultralite front hub that'll save 60 or so grams

if....

About the lightest way to run Maguras is Kooka levers and ADP Carbon braces.

Attachments

• magura.jpg
    magura.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 840

james1985":y7y88wec said:
About the lightest way to run Maguras is Kooka levers and ADP Carbon braces.

LOL. Way ahead of you there... Kooka levers and no braces :)

legrandefromage":y7y88wec said:
I have a few ti Dura-Ace 9spd cassettes here, why not go 9spd friction with a lighter chain? :p

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/list ... =cassettes

I'm gonna send Pipmeister a PM about that goldtec cassette, but nice idea, although I think I want to stick with 8 speed.

cce":y7y88wec said:
if you can find an uncracked hope ultralite front hub that'll save 60 or so grams

if....

Didn't realise that... There's always the lighter white industries front hub too.

Re: Re:

wadsy":1091g48k said:
Did you you change the M900 cassette for an M950 one as I suggested above?...good saving there :)

Missed this post, sorry Wadsy!

I''ve been looking for one, but haven't seen one that was in my price bracket :)

So, the new handlebars didn't work out :( Despite being told they were around 110g, they're actually 143g, almost exactly the same as the Controltech. Damn. I even have a set of Pace Renthal sub 130 if needed, but they're currently on another bike.

However, The Gentleman and all-round nice-guy Pip has offered me a lovely Goldtech cassette that may actually drop me below the magical 20lb all by itself! Woop!

Excited again!

in other news, my last ride showed that fat squishy grips aren't for me, and the WCS actually give me some discomfort, so they'll be going shortly in favour of some nice skinny grips.

My_Teenage_Self":1rubilsd said:
So, the new handlebars didn't work out :( Despite being told they were around 110g, they're actually 143g, almost exactly the same as the Controltech. Damn. I even have a set of Pace Renthal sub 130 if needed, but they're currently on another bike.

However, The Gentleman and all-round nice-guy Pip has offered me a lovely Goldtech cassette that may actually drop me below the magical 20lb all by itself! Woop!

Excited again!

in other news, my last ride showed that fat squishy grips aren't for me, and the WCS actually give me some discomfort, so they'll be going shortly in favour of some nice skinny grips.

ESI Racers Edge grips are 50g, comfy and don't stick out like a sore plum on a retro.

Back