1992 Ibis SS project

Sspoor19

Dirt Disciple
De-lurking as I'd like to document a project here.

Found an old Ibis on craigslist. It's an SS I think, likely 1992 given the serial number, 1638, isn't far off from the '92 SS on the mombat site.

The frame is in very good shape. I love the paint scheme, and it's virtually fully in tact and still shines.

I've made a few changes as it had been absolutely neutered for road/bike path use:
-Post, saddle, stem were added by me.
-I'm going to have full XT M737 on there soon (it was complete save the cranks, which are XC comp), but will then start replacing that with Suntour or M735 (which means I'll have to buy a new frame to take the 737 components, but what can you do).
-I'd like to get rid of the chrome thing on there now and have a black 1992 Tioga/tange big fork heading my way.

Longer term:
-I'd like to find a logic or koski fork as would have been spec'd originally, but the short steerer has been tough to locate.
-This thing screams for a set of butterscotch psychos
-Should have a salsa stem, black to match the head tube/fork

Would love to hear any thoughts/ideas/suggestions as I proceed!

Attachments

• IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 1,187
  • IMG_0759.jpg
    IMG_0759.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 1,184
It looks like a Koski at least the rake. How are the drop outs? I would find canti brakes and that´s it. It´s a very small bike. Ibis of that era run a big seattube and head tube relative to top tube. Does it fit??

Maybe swap the seatpost but then thomsons are such good posts and diameter there is big/rare i would not touch it.
Period correct there is not m737.. It´s 730 or 732.

It´s a beauty. If it fits you got yourself one of the best handling vintage steel bikes out there... it´s the west coast fat chance.

Thanks! It is small, but it does fit. I think it’s a 15.5 inch, but the top tube is almost the same length as that on my 17 inch Breezer (1993 Jet Stream/Hurricane). Stand over height is similar too (about .5” more on the Ibis). Ibis also made the SS in 12” and 14” versions; I think they generally “ride big.” Outside of the head tube and seat stays, all of the tubes are pretty beefy.

The fork is a relatively recent addition—not a Koski or Logic as would have been spec’d. And yes—the 8 speed stuff and v-brakes were on there, and I’m going to complete that group and ride the bike while I collect the older stuff (cantis, thumb shifters, non-parallax wheelset).

Sspoor19":1ggmngl7 said:
Thanks! It is small, but it does fit. I think it’s a 15.5 inch, but the top tube is almost the same length as that on my 17 inch Breezer (1993 Jet Stream/Hurricane). Stand over height is similar too (about .5” more on the Ibis). Ibis also made the SS in 12” and 14” versions; I think they generally “ride big.” Outside of the head tube and seat stays, all of the tubes are pretty beefy.

The fork is a relatively recent addition—not a Koski or Logic as would have been spec’d. And yes—the 8 speed stuff and v-brakes were on there, and I’m going to complete that group and ride the bike while I collect the older stuff (cantis, thumb shifters, non-parallax wheelset).

A tange bontrager composite would fit nicely as well but you could try a mag21 as an experiment.

Re:

cool bike !

Good idea for Suntour or XT or M735 : those Vbrakes which don't have their place on such a beautiful bike

Re:

I'm taking the position that there's an inherent modesty in an SS relative to a mojo or custom ibis, so the titanium stem would be overkill. that way I won't even contemplate spending so much on a stem.

Re: Re:

Sspoor19":1fdq8mxq said:
I'm taking the position that there's an inherent modesty in an SS relative to a mojo or custom ibis, so the titanium stem would be overkill. that way I won't even contemplate spending so much on a stem.

The SS was their top model. As high or higher end than the Mojo.

Latest posts

Back