Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:43 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:49 pm 
Retro Guru

Obviously if a 20" Ti P2 came up, I wouldn't look in the opposite direction if the pricing was right, but other than that I'm very happy with the ride and handling of the Mag21SLs. They work well.

It's correct that Mag20s were a catalogue price option during 92/93, but obviously heavier and lesser spec. The SLs were raced at the top end (see also the metallic green 93' Kona Hot attached featuring custom green painted Mags from a Kona team rider before being split apart and sold)

A Flite is normally mounted along with a Syncros post when the rougher stuff is calling. The Avocet II I have is box fresh and held in reserve for the TI O-Beam when mounted.

Attachments:
93 Kona Hot_Former Pro ride.JPG
93 Kona Hot_Former Pro ride.JPG [ 195.32 KiB | Viewed 289 times ]

Last edited by romanrinos on Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 1992 Kona Hei Hei
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:42 pm 
Old School Hero

regan_ev wrote:
Lovely but the forks ruin it for me. A standard Mag20 would suit it better if you really want a RockShox on it. I'd also ditch the hefty Avocet.

Otherwise, a great build. Congrats.

What was the diff. between mag20 and 21? Was it only weight or adjustability? Once you mod the mags for the extended travel it becomes a supple progressive sophisticated fork; otoh the flex never goes away.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:32 am 
Retro Guru

Prodigal Son wrote:
regan_ev wrote:
Lovely but the forks ruin it for me. A standard Mag20 would suit it better if you really want a RockShox on it. I'd also ditch the hefty Avocet.

Otherwise, a great build. Congrats.

What was the diff. between mag20 and 21? Was it only weight or adjustability? Once you mod the mags for the extended travel it becomes a supple progressive sophisticated fork; otoh the flex never goes away.

Mag20 were the older versions. 21s had a different dial configuration up-top, using thumb-turns, and integrated a negative spring They also have slightly different innards with bushings and came with a lighter fork brace. Mag21SLs were further differentiated via a lighter brake arch and lower legs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:43 am 
Retro Guru

More pics on Ti-Tuesday today (yesterday) hopefully it will inspire some more 90s to be featured. As Pip noted earlier, it's been a while since something other than a modern ti-build made an appearance

Hope you all like the story and better pics. I'll have to post some photos of that Explosif now!

https://cog.konaworld.com/ti-tuesday-la ... i-hei-hei/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:51 am 
Retro Guru

Congratulations Sándor for yet another entry on the Kona Dream Builds. Your bike looks amazing topping the Ti Tuesdays, XC page.

Even though I am familiar with the story that you told in the article, it still made for absorbing reading.

You'll be receiving another Dream Build patch then 8) .

Pip.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:56 am 
Retro Guru

Thanks Pip! It was a harder build to achieve than the Hot especially with the missing noodle. But both very builds too in their respective ways

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6