Sunn Xircuit 1997/8 rebuild **updated 080520**

Re:

It looks great! Just by the by I am still riding my Sun XCircuit+ 98 which I bought in either late 97 or early 98. I commuted on it in Central London for a few years at about 60 miles a week (5 days a week) and loved it. I then moved out of London in 2002 and it was too far for me to commute. After only using it occasionally over literally the last 17 years I have just fettled it up and and am back on it for a 16 mile each way commute along 10 miles of tow path and a few roads. I'm hoping to do the trip 2-3 times a week. I'm still where I was but a new place of work is my side of town. I'm 50 now but it's still great and it's only taken me a couple of weeks to get back on it. It's flying. I only found your post as I idly wondered what the bike weighs.

Thanks for loving your Sunn. It's a great bike! Love your pictures! Mine is a little battered with a few minor rust spots but it still flies! (It does have a bigger chain ring on and a few changes but it's mostly original)

Cheers

-Tristan

Re:

Thanks Tristan and welcome to the site..

I’ve actually just placed this up for sale in the for sale section :facepalm:

Only because I’m after a second motorbike...

It would be great to see yours on here too in this section.

They do ride fantastic and IMO are like the French equivalent of Kona in how they look and ride.

I like the fact you’ve had yours so long.

You’ll be doing a full restoration soon once this site takes hold of you.

I found that the frame is great to polish up and this is the second frame I have owned.

I owned another one previously but sold it without ever building it up. That previous one wasn’t in as good condition as this however the bits you describe as rust were only surface and easily polished up with wire wool then autoglymn metal polish.

:LOL:

Re: Sunn Xircuit 1998 rebuild - updated 200319

Hey Andy,

Thanks for the reply. I think that's a great price but I'm no great cyclist or biker.

I just know I fell in love with it in the shop over all the other bikes at the time. It was so unusual and so thin tubed in comparison. It has a streamlined look and when you ride it the power transfer flatters you. It's the only bike I've owned all this time. I needed something tough enough to bounce kerbs and avoid a swerving bus or pedestran as well as fast enough to hang on to the road racers to catch the lights in sequence through the city.

It works and on canal paths it powers on. List me as a recommendation for this bike on you sales copy.

A question: I have been looking around thinking I should maybe replace it has tech has moved on so much and I was looking at hybrids, cyclocross, all sorts just out of interest. That's how I got to looking at weight. Do you think I could be much faster with a new bike for the same purpose, some roads, some nasty hills and many miles of trail / canal path given my over riding concerns are speed (fastest I can) some grip (loose surfaces) and comfort. Today? And if so what would you choose. And are there really any great gains now?

Old vs now?

Interested to hear. :)

I will post some pictures of mine in a day or two.

Thanks again

-Tristan

Came to my senses and no longer selling this beauty.

I’ve just fitted a mint set of XT V brakes to match the rest of the groupset and an 80mm On One stem and wider flat bar.
....Ok these latter two parts ain’t retro but it really transforms the rideability and makes it handle better and feel more comfortable for me.

Have more plans for this...

Need to buy and fit a set of 8 speed XT shifters to complete the groupset (currently has period LX shifters).

After that I think I might think about a suspension fork....
maybe some marzocchi’s????

Re:

Thanks mate. Yours looks really cool and suits the black forks.

What about doin a build thread with more pics and details?

Promote the Sunn !!

Cheers
Andy

prezza":1hrf1560 said:
Came to my senses and no longer selling this beauty.
After that I think I might think about a suspension fork....
maybe some marzocchi’s????

What about a silver XC600 or XC700 with some extra polishing? They are anodized and have great italian design.

Back