Dad's old Pace

I think you should have added the postage to the sale as you've seriously limited potential customers with the half hearted add at the bottom.
Plus quoting £60 is steep as if you look at other bike sales, the figure is about half that.

Thanks for your advice. Maybe you're right about the postage, but I didn't know that it would go for a good price when I wrote the advert. It's something I'm happy to look at and maybe add the postage into the sale in a couple of days given the early interest.
I recently sold my Mum's old Specialized Vita Sport and the (eventual) buyer persuaded me to post it for £25 included in the bid. Parcelforce Charged me £48 plus, then pipe insulation plus tape cost me about £10 and it took me about 4 hours to take it apart and wrap it in a cardboard box from a local bike dealer (which was too small).
So I've learned from that experience. That's why I'd budgeted for £60 P&P this time.
I am also offering to make other arrangements or deliver it.
This is only the 2nd bike I've sold. My folks have donated them to the car & insurance fund for my daughter.

dyna-ti":3fz3m8at said:
I think you should have added the postage to the sale as you've seriously limited potential customers with the half hearted add at the bottom.
Plus quoting £60 is steep as if you look at other bike sales, the figure is about half that.

I've gone to edit the advert to include postage, but it wont let me change anything, so I've added a line to say FREE POSTAGE

Cheers.

I wasn't meaning anything nasty about it :) Only Im sure many look only at is there postage or not and then dont bid.
Certainly I've seen enough bits and bobs go at well above the asking price because it made it simple for them to get.

You can easily just end the item then relist, with a few words on how you made an error, your fault, sorry sorry sorry etc etc. I usually put a nominal fee for the post, knowing the approximate send price and factoring in a portion of it, but not the full amount to make it look more attractive. £21.99 does look considerably better than £25.
Starting at 99p its a forgone conclusion it wont be going for 99p :LOL:

Giving away all my ebay tactics now :LOL: Anyway, best of luck with the sale :)

Dyna-Ti:
I've not taken offence, good advice on the postage I think.
Like you say, it opens the market up and it's going to a good cause paying towards my daughter's 1st car & insurance. My mum donated her Specialized and now my Dad's bike is surprising him with its latent value.
If circumstances were different I'd have kept it, but I'm being divorced and funds are tight. I'm not too pissed off as the frame is a bit too big for me to be fair and I love my old Marin Bear Valley anyway so it's a win-win.

Book via parcelforce.co.uk and use the 14% off code AL06 makes it MUCH cheaper. You can have it colected or drop off at depot/post office.

Or use cyclesent.co.uk they will send you a box and then pick it up next day for £45

dont forget to factor in insurance and fees into these calculations.

With ebay (10%) and paypal (3.4.%) they take a cut of whatever you charge
And with something of value the carrier is likely to charge extra for full cover in case of loss / damage. IIRC when I sold my lobo i charged £60 for delivery and it didn't cover all the cost.

So, cyclesent is £42 for delivery, or £55 with £50 cover or £62 including £1000 cover, so even charging £60 is not enough in reality.
Although I agree, it sounds a lot and can be off-putting, but better than collection only in my view.

Re:

TBF the cost of sending bikes has gone bonkers recently and totally screwed the marked for decent lower end bikes. Not that this will affect this beaut though. :cool:

Back