1988 Wicked Fat Chance w Mavic Mtn group

shamobius

BoTM Winner
Re:

I bought my Fat Chance Team Comp back in 1989, had it stolen and somehow come back to me 27 years later. I had forgotten just how small it was, that being the trend back then; to ride a smaller frame for technical terrain and 'make it work' the rest of the time. The TC is an 18.5", and though I have made it fit me well enough with the right stem and bar, it made me wonder what the next size up would feel like. Knowing the odds (or affordability) of a 19.5" TC coming my way were slim, I decided to pick up a 19.5" Wicked when one came along. A decent comparison can be made between the two models, with the main difference being the tube-sets. The geometry is identical. So now I have two Fats I can compare side by side. I plan to ride a local loop on each bike and report my impressions and comparison.

Plus the bonus of having two incredible Fat City Cycles examples in my stable...

Untitled by shamalama88, on Flickr

Re:

Very good job, two good examples Fat Chance.
The last group Mavic is to die, I love it !!!

Hmmm... fat chance handlebar. The 120mm stem makes both bikes fit the same. Difference will be more stability and quicker front due to shorter stem / longer wheelbase.I wonder if there is any special feel from the lighter tubeset. I have a wicked and love it... different from most 90s norba geo hardtails. Very planted especially when climbing and cornering. Lives for technical singletrack. Traction from those chainstays is phenomenal. It doesn´t like to jump though.

Btw: nice tommaselli levers there.

Re:

Looking forward to the review. Il just leave this image here ;)

Attachments

• 72976CE8-D6AA-40CC-BD79-C811210AB0AF.jpeg
    72976CE8-D6AA-40CC-BD79-C811210AB0AF.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 1,345
:cool: Very nice, especially with the Mavic.

Look forward to reading your ride report, and hopefully seeing more pics of the bike out and about.

Mark

The yellow bands on the Mavic group rhyme w/ the yellow fork and lettering. Very nice. I had to ride my wicked today just because and it´s such a tight bike.

Re:

Beautiful bike Shamus, like always!
Which model of Mavic front derailleur did you mount on it? it seems to be the road version?
do you have any problem to reach the third chainring?

Re: Re:

lb35":2rb0jk85 said:
Beautiful bike Shamus, like always!
Which model of Mavic front derailleur did you mount on it? it seems to be the road version?
do you have any problem to reach the third chainring?

It's the Mavic Mtn version, it's just lost it's yellow decal. I had no trouble getting in to the big ring, there is a lot of throw range between the limit screws.

20190525_125240 by shamalama88, on Flickr

Prodigal Son":3smbjvom said:
Hmmm... fat chance handlebar. The 120mm stem makes both bikes fit the same. Difference will be more stability and quicker front due to shorter stem / longer wheelbase.I wonder if there is any special feel from the lighter tubeset. I have a wicked and love it... different from most 90s norba geo hardtails. Very planted especially when climbing and cornering. Lives for technical singletrack. Traction from those chainstays is phenomenal. It doesn´t like to jump though.

Btw: nice tommaselli levers there.

Thanks for your input Prodigal Son. The stems are longer than 120mm though, and the smaller TC's Salsa stem has a fair bit of rise, so the final rider position is very similar for both bikes. I like my vintage bikes to have a distance of 22" - 23" from the tip of the saddle's nose to the center of the handlebar. I know that is my 'sweet spot', and it helps me set up and compare my bikes. There won't be a lot of jumping going on, but lots of tight, technical singletrack ;)

Btw: the levers are Maguras, which Fat City Cycles was fond of specc'ing their bikes with.

Back