Another - What bike is this? thread (Orange ?)

garyoneill

Retro Guru
Hello All, I need to pick your brains....

A neighbour kindly donated me the frame below. It belonged to her late husband who bought the 'orange' from new but had it re-sprayed a couple of years ago. I am contemplating adding it to the list of projects, but I wanted to pin down which model it is.

This is what I know...

• It is an 18" steel frame
    Serial Number: A41002412 (Guessing October 1994?)
    it has a 1" headset
    It looks as though it comes with the F7 fork - threaded steerer
    It has a brazed on seat clamp
    Seat collar measures 31.8
    Slot on the seat clamp is rear facing
    There appears to be a slight bulge in the diamater of the tubing at the top of the seat tube (Below the top tube)
    It does not however have a guide for cantilevers

Is this an early C16/R or a late clockwork??? Any ideas what the stock colour would have been? The lack of a cantilever bridge has me thrown.

Any help appreciated :)

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 863
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 863
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 863
  • D.jpg
    D.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 862
Re:

Intriguing – it has elements of a 93/94 Clockwork with the smooth tubing, braze-ons and traditional rear-facing seat clamp but also has elements of either a P7 or C16r from possibly later 90s era, plus the F7 forks. What throws me are the older rear wheel drop outs and the lack of the braze-on rear brake cable stop on the wishbone. Groovy colour – not sure if this is 'catalogue' though.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... atalogues/

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=182168

I'm tempted to say it looks like an early C16 with an F7 fork, just because the top cable guides look slightly different to my '94 and the welds on the frame are slightly more built up, forks look about the same..

But then there are a lot of knowledgable people on here, so I'm hoping someone here might know better than me :)

Maybe emailing/phoning orange bikes themselves with the serial number might be able to help you, they've surprised me several times before with how helpful they can be - but then other times they don't seem to answer at all... still worth a try.

Re:

Actually changing my mind - I now think it's a 1994 clockwork...

My '94 is having a strip down to clean after winter commuting - so I took a couple of pics trying to get the same angles.

20160419_183814_zpspszxzksf.jpg

20160419_184644_zpspu2qmdsz.jpg

Think it's possible as both your's and mine have been resprayed that bits have been ground off prior to this - i.e. my missing binder post bosses and your canti hanger.

Well, re-booting an old thread after 3 years!

After the all the kind feedback, I plumped for the frame being a 1994 Clockwork with F7 Forks. I decided to have it powder coated rather than paint it myself as I have done in the past. I had it done locally for £70 and the result was really disappointing. Bits of the frame had been missed (under the seat stays) and I spotted a small number of tiny dents and marks which I had not seen when it had its previous blue paint job. I ended up throwing it in the back of the shed in a huff.

Anyway, I decided whilst the weather was nice I would get it finished. I sanded the frame and used build up primer on the small dents (Bit of a perfectionist sorry) and resprayed the whole thing in Matt Black. Fresh decals courtesy of Gil, top coats of lacquer are now on and it will be finished in the next week or two. Pictures of the progress to date :)

Attachments

• E.jpg
    E.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 318
  • F.jpg
    F.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 318
  • G.jpg
    G.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 318
  • K.JPG
    K.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 318
  • J.JPG
    J.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 318
  • L.JPG
    L.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 318
Re:

That's looking superb! Glad I'm not the only one who throws them in the shed in a huff :LOL:

Back