boy"O"boy's 1992 Marin Pine Mountain / Browning suspension

Re: Re:

MR OX":2yq0z4ky said:
Just had a team version fall in my lap, it's not in the best condition but I've ridden worse!

Just seen your eBay - that's an interesting one, good to see another Browning suspension Marin surfacing. :cool:
Having spent a bit of time researching these Marins and forks, that's the 1st time I've see a straight bladed leg on these forks.
What's the serial number out of interest? Maybe it's a prototype fork?

MatBH5":2yq0z4ky said:
Interesting these... the magazine scan close up of the headtube I could convince myself is fillet-brazed, which could be Roberts, and the write up mentions a British prototype. Also, see the cable guide position is right on the headtube on the prototype. The others in here seem TIG’ed and I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a TIG’d Roberts (someone will correct me).
So perhaps an initial one/few brazed in UK to prove the concept, perhaps as the fork was this side of the Atlantic, then a Marin ‘mass-produced’ copy for production, though in relatively small numbers for Marin.
Just guess work and very cool whatever.

Cheers Mat. Interesting theory. Mine's definitely TIG'd so you're probably right that Roberts probably only made the prototype(s) and then were copied for production. If Marin did make these in small numbers, it would be interesting to find out where. Perhaps an email to Marin may turn something up?

The Cannondale is finished, so expect some progress to begin on this in the next month or so! :roll: ;)

Cheers
boy"O"boy

boy"O"boy":l57c8qp4 said:
MR OX":l57c8qp4 said:
Just had a team version fall in my lap, it's not in the best condition but I've ridden worse!

Just seen your eBay - that's an interesting one, good to see another Browning suspension Marin surfacing. :cool:
Having spent a bit of time researching these Marins and forks, that's the 1st time I've see a straight bladed leg on these forks.
What's the serial number out of interest? Maybe it's a prototype fork?

Strangley I never checked (I have know idea why I didn't as it's usually the first thing I check on any bike to make sure it's still there) However the new owner sent me a picture & it appears to be M 91 0000 04 I'm sure it'll pop up on here quite soon.

MR OX":2hu1sj80 said:
Strangley I never checked (I have know idea why I didn't as it's usually the first thing I check on any bike to make sure it's still there) However the new owner sent me a picture & it appears to be M 91 0000 04 I'm sure it'll pop up on here quite soon.

That serial number (maybe one of the 0's is a 6?) seems inline with the numbering of mine.
Are any Marin experts out there able to shed more light onto Marin's frame numbering system?
Maybe the M is for where it's manufactured rather than Marin?

I've saved a few of the pics from your eBay sale MR OX ( purely for research purposes!)
- I won't post anything here yet though in case the new owner want's to start a thread on their build. Still interesting that it has straight forks though!?

- Talking of Browning forks, I thought I'd make some progress on this restoration.
I began by dis-assembling the brace that stops the fork rotating on itself and cleaned it up. I then started to flat back the scratched black paint..... and realised that there wasn't much paint on these at all!! :shock: They had not even been primered! - so no wonder they were suffering from 'paint issues'!! As I'd already started, I stripped back all of the black paint to bare metal. The forks were sprayed and rubbed back using a high build primer before 3 final coats of Matt black. No lacquer added to replicate the original 'Smooth Zolatone' finish.

They were then reassembled. I've still got to do the 'noodle' part which holds the cable stop.

Now to get the frame stripped and paint underway!! - Neon Orange decals ordered too. :D

Here's some pics. The plastic cone around the rubber boot was to protect it from overspray, with a carrier bag wrapped over this.

cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• Browning fork stripped 3.jpg
    Browning fork stripped 3.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 636
  • Browning fork stripped 2.jpg
    Browning fork stripped 2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 636
  • Browning fork stripped 1.jpg
    Browning fork stripped 1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 636
Re:

The painted fork..... onto the frame next.

:D

Attachments

• Browning fork painted 4.jpg
    Browning fork painted 4.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 636
  • Browning fork painted 3.jpg
    Browning fork painted 3.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 636
  • Browning fork painted 2.jpg
    Browning fork painted 2.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 636
  • Browning fork painted 1.jpg
    Browning fork painted 1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 636
Re:Marins with the Browning Boingys...

Hey fellas, looking clean that PM with the fat head tube...

I am the new custodian of David's Team, with the same. Not wanting to hijack your thread, but at the same time, be good to collaborate on info around theses rare species! After all we do have similar (good) taste, as I also have an rc100 (although didn't earn it half as much, as your outstanding renovation honoured you).

I will do a build thread on this one "honest guv". I just really suck at tech... the cat ate my router, excuses, excuses. I do live in a remote part of the world however and have been trying to upload a serial number pic to your thread. After half an hour and the overhead telephone cables glowing red, I've conceded!

I'll get some pics up on here, if ok with you, or can message them, also feel free to add any of David's should the same go with him!

I'll be back....

Mike

Re: Marin-Browning.

It's a better image than I got before, for MrOX..
I did a pencil rubbing too, I think it's M91063(or 5)004

It's hard to make out the fork serial, other than parts of. The barcode has faded out too. Just under the "red serial no" font, there's hand written scribe just visible, that looks to say ptype 3/004 but I'm really squinting to see it and it could say something wildly different.

As you also mention, the forks on this one are straighter of blade than all the others you kindly found so far, also they've always been black I think, no trace of the fushia accent colours underneath or the oxide primer, as appear around on the others.

As Recieved, from David all packed and squared away with the greatest of care, total gentleman of the forum. My plans are a little different with this one, to yours Boy'o'boy. After removing the seatpost (it's having a looong soak!) I'm going to treat the rust and touch up the primed areas as best as I can, repaint the forks and rebuild the frameset with original decals intact. I like that it's had a life and shows it! The BB is out now and is very serviceable. I'll put some bits on I have squirrelled away from here, inc some Ti Sakae Bulges and a TCO post I have, use the XT 730/732 wheelset that David sent with, same on group.

That fork paint colour looks a good match, for the black of the frames, could I ask what you're using Boy'o'boy, will blatantly copy to use on my forks and to touch 'er up, ooer!

Cheers again,

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_2844.JPG
    IMG_2844.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 601
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_2735.JPG
    IMG_2735.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 602
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 599
Re:

Great to see this further detail. That fork looks very much like a Project 2. I wonder whether for early Browning tests, they may have modified an existing fork? Just a thought.

was never a big Marin fan, but this just became my instant favourite. Love it.

How well does the fork perform on the trail?

Re:

KeepItSteel":3qd3n7mn said:
How well does the fork perform on the trail?

if it's anything like my trials unit would be interested to know as sadly it needs refurbishing but if somebody can show me how to do it ........... :shock:

Re: Re:Marins with the Browning Boingys...

Trialsmeister":2r2bjitx said:
Hey fellas, looking clean that PM with the fat head tube...

I am the new custodian of David's Team, with the same. Not wanting to hijack your thread, but at the same time, be good to collaborate on info around theses rare species! After all we do have similar (good) taste, as I also have an rc100 (although didn't earn it half as much, as your outstanding renovation honoured you).

I will do a build thread on this one "honest guv". I just really suck at tech... the cat ate my router, excuses, excuses. I do live in a remote part of the world however and have been trying to upload a serial number pic to your thread. After half an hour and the overhead telephone cables glowing red, I've conceded!

I'll get some pics up on here, if ok with you, or can message them, also feel free to add any of David's should the same go with him!

I'll be back....

Mike

Hi Mike - not a problem. Glad you've posted on here - Can always add a linky to your thread later, but like with the Pace RC100 Thread (Thank you for the Kind words BTW!!) - It's good to have a resource/reference if anyone is restoring/purchasing one of these Marins or has a Browning Suspension forked bike.

Trialsmeister":2r2bjitx said:
It's a better image than I got before, for MrOX..
I did a pencil rubbing too, I think it's M91063(or 5)004

It's hard to make out the fork serial, other than parts of. The barcode has faded out too. Just under the "red serial no" font, there's hand written scribe just visible, that looks to say ptype 3/004 but I'm really squinting to see it and it could say something wildly different.

As you also mention, the forks on this one are straighter of blade than all the others you kindly found so far, also they've always been black I think, no trace of the fushia accent colours underneath or the oxide primer, as appear around on the others.

As Recieved, from David all packed and squared away with the greatest of care, total gentleman of the forum. My plans are a little different with this one, to yours Boy'o'boy. After removing the seatpost (it's having a looong soak!) I'm going to treat the rust and touch up the primed areas as best as I can, repaint the forks and rebuild the frameset with original decals intact. I like that it's had a life and shows it! The BB is out now and is very serviceable. I'll put some bits on I have squirrelled away from here, inc some Ti Sakae Bulges and a TCO post I have, use the XT 730/732 wheelset that David sent with, same on group.

That fork paint colour looks a good match, for the black of the frames, could I ask what you're using Boy'o'boy, will blatantly copy to use on my forks and to touch 'er up, ooer!

Cheers again,

Mike

The frame number (if you go with it as a 3!) and the serial number of the fork matching (especially with the straight legs) -I'd say yours is a prototype, or at least the earliest production ones. Maybe even a pre-production?
The serial number on my Browning forks doesn't match the frame number. I think mine are the 'standard' production ones.

- The straight legs on yours look very much like a modified Tange Big Fork.

- The curved legs and drop outs on mine look very much like a Tange Super Big Fork.

(I've added some pics to show this)

I reckon the 'Big Fork' came before the 'Super Big Fork' and what was available at the time off the shelf to modify into the suspension fork / or was available to modify supplied by Tange.

What does the collective think?

Colour wise. Here's the Matt black and Neon Orange I've used / will be using.

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• neon orange.jpg
    neon orange.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 546
  • matt black spray.jpg
    matt black spray.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 545
  • tange superbig fork.jpg
    tange superbig fork.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 544