Ally O Resto She Lives! Pics on Page 6...

Re:

Looking good so far.... The Orange / Blue theme works really well, especially with the amberwalls. Nice Spec too.
Longest I've ridden my Aluminium "O" was for about 3.5 hrs several summers back now (Followed by nearly as long for a few post ride Ales!)
Hats off to you for a 6hr race! :cool:

blue crank bolts too? :LOL:

Keep up the good work.
boy"O"boy

Re: Re:

boy"O"boy":oaoj32oh said:
Looking good so far.... The Orange / Blue theme works really well, especially with the amberwalls. Nice Spec too.
Longest I've ridden my Aluminium "O" was for about 3.5 hrs several summers back now (Followed by nearly as long for a few post ride Ales!)
Hats off to you for a 6hr race! :cool:

blue crank bolts too? :LOL:

Keep up the good work.
boy"O"boy

Yup - Blue crankbolts are on the way, but from overseas, so it could be black for a holding role

I would keep your hat on till I see how it goes! I will start a 6 hour race, lets just say that for now :)

I'm sure I will manage a wee beer if I can keep going for the full length

I did attempt to set up the front brake at lunchtime today, only when I took them out the bag, I noticed they were set up Euro style. A quick lever swap has sorted it, but I need to double check it, as I didn't have any spare olives, seems ok so far though, and they kept their pressure pretty well.

They have had their new pads fitted, new rubber washers and the bolt kits have arrived, just waiting on the little cable guide hose tidies to keep the top tube neat, and avoid any inappropriate zip ties :?

a fuzzy pic of the front brake in position

IZFEvv5.jpg

I think they'll fit in pretty nicely, just need to do some fettling, and maybe a double check on the front wheel trueness, there's a wee bit of rubbing going on. The back one isn't quite right yet, going to need another lunchtime to get that in the right place. Decided not to bother with the mounting plates, it seems to work pretty effectively without.

Re:

Colin

Forgive me asking but when you refer to new rubber washers above were these used on the Magura’s as I’ve always thought there should be some but none of the ones I’ve ever stripped have had any fitted

Oh and by the way it’s turning out sweeeeet

Re:

Really like the orange/blue theme....funny as its exactly my plan for my current clockwork project

Re: Re:

Retro Spud":2wq0nibr said:
Colin

Forgive me asking but when you refer to new rubber washers above were these used on the Magura’s as I’ve always thought there should be some but none of the ones I’ve ever stripped have had any fitted

Oh and by the way it’s turning out sweeeeet

Cheers!

The rubber washers I mean fit between the silver clamp arms and the (on these brakes) blue slave cylinders, allowing less friction when fitting and adjusting the angle and distance the pads are from the wheel. They all have them, so maybe we are talking about different things. Where do you think they ought to go?

I have figured out why the rear brake was not easy to adjust, basic error #1, I forgot to look closely at how they were set up prior to taking them apart to clean, and have stuck them back together the wrong way round, at least for the width of these rims. The arms can be fitted either way round, and the one I had chosen meant the slave cylinder was sitting too close to the rim. I've swapped the back one round now, and it is much easier to adjust correctly - bit of head scratching before a read of the manual, and we are back on track.

The rear brake now looks like this:

wnRawwy.jpg

The brake booster is sitting a little close to the tyre, the manuals solution for this is just to chop it off with wire snips :shock: so that will be Thursdays job. It wants to be in the middle but the two holes on the LHS dont allow the correct alignment.

I will revisit the front brake now and swap the arms round too - it functions ok but I think the angle of the arms will look better set up the other way.

I have also received the blue crank bolts:

Elu4hyo.jpg

Its getting close to being the finished article!

Chain and cassette to fit
Cables to fit
Front brake to adjust
Front wheel to true and reseat the tyre
Grips to fit.

I have a set of old Ritchey grips which would match the bars nicely, although they do look a bit worn.
On all my modern bikes I run Deathgrips, which I could fit in the matching blue flangeless option, I have to admit I'm tempted, obviously not period, but it would fit the retro modern theme. It is for riding after all, and the tyres are a modern compromise, what to do??

Re: Ally O Resto getting somewhere

Its getting closer!

Just over a week to go till race day, and it's still not finished - a few of the remaining issues addressed today though

Chain and cassette have been fitted. I have gone with a 7 speed 11-28 HG41 modern Shimano, and a HG71 silver 7 speed chain. Shiny and practical.

WHJY3RG.jpg

Cables are in place, and I have replaced the lower jockey wheel for now, with the original black one, to get the chain to run smoothly. Once I can source some blue 10t Jockey Wheels, Ill replace both of them, but this works for now

tVHAPwC.jpg

JZkls6x.jpg

Still to be indexed, but almost there

I have decided on black deathgrips, I offered the Ritchey ones up, but they really looked pretty poor, I reckon the deathgrips will look pretty ok, as it was mushrooms grips that came off the bike in the first place

I've also found the original sharkfin, although it has lost its Deore XT sticker. Just needing some double sided tape and that will be going back on

Need to get this out on the trails for a shakedown!

Re: Ally O Resto getting somewhere

So. It's been 7 and a half years since I first received this frame, very kindly posted by gingernuts/badger, thank you sir

I am genuinely delighted to report that She Lives!

With time counting down to race day, the last few days has been a bit of a big push to get all the niggles sorted out, finishing touches applied and set up done...

... and I am over the moon with the result!

There were a few things still to be done, I was awaiting the arrival of the cable guide hose holders, which arrived just in the nick of time from Poland, which has really tidied up the top tube, and avoided any zip tie shenangians

mAIlvj0.jpg

And once armed with the double sided tape I fitted the sharkfin.

my2sIje.jpg

The brake booster needed to be chopped and filed, which allowed the rear wheel to spin freely, and I had also fitted the seal in the lower headset race upside down but apart from that, there was one thing to do before letting looose

dZlxzyn.jpg

Pretty reasonable I reckon, not a total weight weenie, but there are some solid bits on it, so am pretty happy with that :D

And....

BdJbz8l.jpg

5dtYPct.jpg

hdWe63V.jpg

rC8F49x.jpg

ncquzhf.jpg

uAQPb4W.jpg

DwiBIgt.jpg

VMjCB9X.jpg

Totally made up with how she looks, and thanks to the sun for coming out for the inaugural ride :cool:

I'll do a full rundown of parts another time, this baby is for riding! I thought I'd better check out the handling with the race coming up, and it didn't disappoint - climbs like a demon, and it is possible to descend pretty rapidly, although maybe the local enduro trails were a bit tasty for the first time out...

TYRsuvC.jpg

SHUOAIJ.jpg

CtsxHM5.jpg

ybEwiyU.jpg

9ZSbImm.jpg

Totally rolled back the years, after a few minutes it all felt completely natural, must be some kind of learned memory from back in the day, but it was flying!

Race report to follow in due course, we'll see what 6 hours feels like...

but absolutely delighted

Back