I’ve given a home to a knackered old Dog on its last legs-

Re:

Missed your Magura posts on sunday Spud..think I need to throw some more clearcoat on mine as yours look amazing :D

Re: Re:

yakboy":zrret9tz said:
Missed your Magura posts on sunday Spud..think I need to throw some more clearcoat on mine as yours look amazing :D

Having seen your Lotus come together recently and also Peachy's Claud Butler it enspired me to pull my finger out and get back to work on this

After a lot of soaking with stripper the metal work is pretty much devoid of paint now I’ve no idea what they used in the factory but that yellow took a lot of work to shift it, I’m now ready to give the bear metal a good going over with 600 grit Wet and Dry to get rid of any corrosion and equally important key the surface ready for etch primer

So here she is in all her naked glory - devoid of anything Neon or remotely shinny

As you can see the last job was to drill out the rivet holding cable stops in place, which frightened the hell out of me and perhaps a job done first rather than last given how much time I’ve invested so far
The rot or corrosion between the frame and the cable stops was incredible proper thick which crusty chalk with a gentle pick some of it came away like a scab leaving a deep crevasse behind at this point my arse was twitching like a badgers nose - Thankfully the corrosion was sat on the clear coat that I wasn’t able to get to first time around and it was that that had come away,

Given the clear coat had been out of Ultraviolet sun light all of its life it was well and truly adhered to the frame and these two patches of lacquer took longer to remove than most of the frame did. As you won’t see this area when the stops are back on I didn’t dare clean pick too hard for fear of damaging the frame and I’ve read somewhere never to use Paint stripper as it damages the resin in the carbon so its now clean smooth and as darn close to being perfect as I can/dare get it.

front one..

and after I picked at the loose scab this appeared :shock:

The remains of the rivet was pushed in and removed from the top tube for safe storage - so it can be measured later to ensure I buy/use the correct size

and heres the state of the stops with all the crust on them

looks like the corrosion has gotten under the anodising in various places so this could be a challenge - but I like challenges ! - otherwise I'd go to Evan and buy some homogenised modern tat

Attachments

• IMG_2103.JPG
    IMG_2103.JPG
    238.2 KB · Views: 640
  • IMG_2102.JPG
    IMG_2102.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 640
  • IMG_2107.JPG
    IMG_2107.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_2110.JPG
    IMG_2110.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 640
  • IMG_2115.JPG
    IMG_2115.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_2116.JPG
    IMG_2116.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 641
Nice work, there’s nothing quite like coming out the other side of surgery with all your intended bits intact!

PeachyPM":3838cijk said:
Nice work, there’s nothing quite like coming out the other side of surgery with all your intended bits intact!

Are you taking the piss :LOL: last time I carried out home surgery it cost me 3 and a bit fingers and were not talking KitKats here

Needless to say if I ever had a desire to learn the piano I’ve left it too late - likewise I can no longer partake in Ye olde English custom of Agincourt salutes anymore !

Retro Spud":26vypxc5 said:
PeachyPM":26vypxc5 said:

Are you taking the piss :LOL: last time I carried out home surgery it cost me 3 and a bit fingers and were not talking KitKats here

Needless to say if I ever had a desire to learn the piano I’ve left it too late - likewise I can no longer partake in Ye olde English custom of Agincourt salutes anymore !

Dude, seriously, I had no idea you were digitaly challanged! :shock: Sorry bud... :facepalm:

trust me involentary home amputation is not to be recommend especially when you’ve just decorated

And doing primary school maths home work with my Daughter can be challenging when trying to count past 7, anyway Now you know why Mike Muz refers to me as KK - (Kitkat Kid)

And also why all my brakes are the wrong way round - Euro /USA style

enc":ffgzs7sz said:
All the different materials Such a complex frame to tackle this.

The prep work is slow going and tedious- however since it will costs the same amount of bucks $ to paint itbadly as it will to do it properly, I thought I’d invest the time. ($ just for THM and Peachy)

The white corrosion/ fluffy shite makes one hell of a mess and it’s surprising how black dust sanded Aluminium makes on your hands/work area

Hopeful this weekend will see the arrival of tack rags and a good solvent clean

Back