Dave Hinde 653 - 'fillet smoothness' 😘

retrobikeguy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
And so another journey begins :facepalm: .

I seem to be stacking up on projects at the moment but I was pretty keen on this when it first appeared on facebook over a month ago, why was I keen?.... I dont know because its a limping dog, broken seat clamp, ding in the top tube, bits of worrying surface rust, shitty paint condition and the bottom bracket seems stubborn too .......... Thats probably why I like it, a challenge, a challenge to return a beautifully built frame made of great quality british steel back to its former glory.

So the frame, its a fillet brazed Reynolds 653 all terrain tubeset with internally routed top tube cable guideing and a matching straight blade 653 fork, the paint is a metallic gold with chromed dropouts, nice roadie touch that I kinda like.

so for now this is going to need to go to my local framebuilder for a little bit if tidying up.

RBG

IMG-20190222-124017.jpg

IMG-20190219-202413.jpg

IMG-20190219-202600.jpg

Re:

Glad that you rescued that one! I had a good look at that when it was posted, there's some lovely details on show there.

What's the plan with the seat tube? A Kevin Winter style internal clamp (if possible), tube replacement, or new extension :?:

Re: The Golden Hinde

retrobikeguy":ubudc200 said:
And so another journey begins :facepalm: .

I seem to be stacking up on projects at the moment but I was pretty keen on this when it first appeared on facebook over a month ago, why was I keen?.... I dont know because its a limping dog, broken seat clamp, ding in the top tube, bits of worrying surface rust, shitty paint condition and the bottom bracket seems stubborn too .......... Thats probably why I like it, a challenge, a challenge to return a beautifully built frame made of great quality british steel back to its former glory.

So the frame, its a fillet brazed Reynolds 653 all terrain tubeset with internally routed top tube cable guideing and a matching straight blade 653 fork, the paint is a metallic gold with chromed dropouts, nice roadie touch that I kinda like.

so for now this is going to need to go to my local framebuilder for a little bit if tidying up.

RBG

IMG-20190222-124017.jpg

IMG-20190219-202413.jpg

IMG-20190219-202600.jpg

I really like that too, it's great it is in good hands and will be saved.

I have a Dave Hinde stem and carbon bars for sale. They are a bit newer than the frame, so may not fit your plans, but I thought I'd mention it, given that they wouldn't need posting as I work in York. If they are not right for your build I won't be too disappointed as I really want a build to use them on, since they are light and the bars in particular seem really nice.

Who's your local framebuilder? York based?

kingoffootball":23dmkt1p said:
I have a Dave Hinde stem and carbon bars for sale. They are a bit newer than the frame, so may not fit your plans, but I thought I'd mention it, given that they wouldn't need posting as I work in York. If they are not right for your build I won't be too disappointed as I really want a build to use them on, since they are light and the bars in particular seem really nice.

I had considered them for the other hinder bit as they're 1" headtube I thought I'd stick to quill stem, cheers for thinking of me tho fella :)

Re: Re:

mynchiboy":2tmifil4 said:
What's the plan with the seat tube? A Kevin Winter style internal clamp (if possible), tube replacement, or new extension :?:

Well sir, I assume originally it woulda been taller but the seat clamp is gonna look like my other hinde, just a rear facing pinch style, there's enough room to tidy up the top of the seat tube, cut down between the stays a little and braze a clamp on..

It should look like any other hinde

images

file.php

Pics from tiboltriders ;)

kingoffootball":361gliia said:
retrobikeguy":361gliia said:
PeachyPM":361gliia said:
Who's your local framebuilder? York based?

Poetry in motion cycles, he's big into building 36ers....
https://pimcycles.co.uk/

I was aware they were there, but hadn't realised they do frame building and wheel building, that's good to know.

Just checked out their website, I had no idea they were there.... easy run in my lunch break :D

Re:

He is just a one man band, likes to do a lot of his own thing but always in need of work, he can build some nice bikes and renovations though.

I have taken a few frames in to get repairs done and I'm happy with the work.

Back