Thanks Rod, I will keep an eye out for them as an option.

I don't usually indulge myself with this, but since I felt in need or inspiration I mocked up the rolling frameset:

W-fFKQQ0Oim787_BWogjoJ5X6-0Yv1oxB_41sPoxTtfHhxSWjLjADRxgrCl64-BvATsz1cpP7g=w1680-h1050-no

These are the slightly mis-matched STM cantis ... would you? could you?

ljfFSmnKFxn-duCwUliJ9AgzuLqCKJTcSBWAHt-aPsoG8YFfns92A7RblChPTbH4N06Vs28ySg=w1680-h1050-no

I should indulge myself in the ability to take decent photos. Ah well, more motivation to make progress, so I can try again and hopefully get clearer images.

A slight bit of progress!

Hopefully sorting out and selling as many bikes and parts as possible also helps to focus on making some progress on the ones that I'll keep before they go into storage (this is probably number one on the list to keep).

Having stripped down and sold my S-works, I had a black pair of SS5s with tatty paint. One was missing its decal, showing the circular holes underneath and it struck me that if it was the correct colour, they would work well with the Aende drilled holes.

wYl48WaTnC7gexXHpf4l6A_6xjWaqvh-YpE57n3YgR0CodUIJD2_ek8S2XIiP3H3ZWVeSvcglhq8EalpznSVfRzu8FevbeIolC6ZTDyR11EypEQAlb-gbn0mb7clZki7LkXpHVkidA=w504-h895-no

It took a little work to get an acceptable (not perfect) finish. I originally applied some polish to one part and realised they were coming out too shiny to match the satin finish of the other parts, so I had to re-sand it. I spotted a slight mismatch in bolts, so they had to be replaced, but now I'm one part closer to being able to build it.

If I remember correctly, I now just need some cantis (Dia Compe 985s to fit the hole-theme?) and some shifters and it will be ready to build up. I want some Sachs thumbies, but I'm still waiting to find the set I want, so I might build it up with one of the sets of Deore thumbies I have spare (could be the only Shimano part on the bike, although I can't remember which cassette I'd planned to use) and replace them in the future if possible.

Re:

Looking good! Pleased that you decided to keep this one.

I've actually pulled a complete set of 985's off one of my bikes tonight - only half a dozen rides old and were bought NOS. They won't be expensive as I had to repair a couple of of the plastic spring covers (long story).. give me a shout if you're interested :)

I am keen to get this built up and ridden before it is put into storage.

So a quick clean to remove (quite a lot) of dirt that had built up from years hanging in the garage:

Yi6fs9AbrHWWvPchiCx7Zr9S4f8M5jA1kiuWqclK0VEzmAsEuyq7kE2rOoqqeZLq68yG8c6umf_EEa-zdFl835FQZQ44mbO0BNAcl1vWaF3Jjm8vVNA4bD-Q-g7MO5u6Z2RnK3yu8Q=w1194-h895-no

and the same for the wheels:

KWoe8VJDm9W9bhyG0MPM-Z0SEZ4RPSfYdBwGSwJzdlVdhgbhHuq8k8bqG4tgfq3MqaghoPR5pu6jGkrAP4YA6l52GYQgdO9As1RW19YN9HjWgqYkuPvVKZQNdROvmMKvCMS445hpbA=w1194-h895-no

Thank you, that's an interesting read.

Whilst fitting tyres I noticed issues with both Nukeproof hubs :facepalm:

The front hub doesn't spin when the QR is tightened in the forks. I assume this is because the red dust caps are not original. Can I just remove them or do I need something else there?

The rear hub has a bit of play. The bearings on the drive side have some movement inside the freehub and I and not sure why, as the same bearings on the non-drive side do not have play.

Has the freehub been replaced with one that is non compatible?

Are the bearings wrong? Can anyone tell me what the bearings should be? (Having removed them, I will now replace them with new ones anyway, but when I searched for the code I couldn't find any.)

Has the whole axle been replaced? It is steel, should it have a steel axle?

Time to hang the frame back up in the garage for now.

Dude, I just read through this thread after you referenced it on my Lotus one. Lovely frame, but don’t hang it up for another 6 years! Please......

Back