1993/94 NTI Rock Lobster™ ..the poor mans Bontrager

Re:

Any updates on this?

Frame looks ace in it's new paint and you have great choice of parts to complement it...

Re:

Sadly I’ve hit two unforseen and unplanned set backs :|

First one is probably the most annoying - but thankfully Kingbling is helping me out, I got some new Salsa decals from Gil, and when looking to refresh it I decided to put the shine back in the stem and clear coated it - only in the process I put the gold top cap somewhere “really” safe and now can’t find it ! So that screwed me over big time

Secondly I got myself a really nice 122mm Ti. bottom bracket with black cups and it looked the dogs ballcocks however the rear hub I ended up using is a 130mm with a later 135mm axle and that puts the chainline out, so looking for an axle around 116-118mm. The rear hub I originally had planned to use got fitted to another build with a different a
Rim so can’t be swapped back.

I could go with a cheap crappy low end Shimano bottom bracket but really want to keep the black cups, so the hunt goes on, the only one I’ve found so far is 118x73mm but the added spacers look awkward.

Both problems are born out wanting a Green and Black build (like the chocolates) and wanting to stay true to my original plan.

Another option would be to find a black XT hub designed from the get go to use a 135mm axle but that’s not proving to be easy either

DY85262":2ws35inh said:
Nice topic, have you thought about a Royce but get the cups anodised black?

Yeah I had the cups anodised XTR M900 blue/Grey on my Pace, I’ve got nice black cups that will take any axle that’s designed to run standard sealed bearings, so hoping to find a donor that I can pull apart and remove the axle from.

Just need to find a 118mm axle

kingbling":xn8oulcz said:
Looking good Nick keep an eye out for the postie tomorrow ;)

Thanks Clive, I’ll be sure to send some beer tokens and some cosmic love your way over the weekend :LOL:

Back