Custom 94 Diamond Back Build

Chrisv40, I did some checks and the top end DB CrMo frames did not have curved braces and luggage rack attachment holes. So I removed all traces of this and installed CrMo tubing. Also the curved braces and brake studs were brazed in place and I wanted the upgraded components all tig welded with the appropriate filler material. I also decided to install a reinforcing rod between the seat tube and the rear brake hanger because I had seen a lot of flexing there when applying the rear brakes.

So reasons for structural changes were … added strength in jointed areas, improvement rear triangle rigidity, better breaking, correct alignment of brake stud and keeping with the race bike build theme.

Re:

Not sure about Gil but these guys say they can... HERE

''If you can not find the decal that you are looking for, or would like some custom design tweaks, we can usually do this free of charge or will be happy to give you a quote''

So some way into this build I came across some info where some GT team riders had opted to race CrMo frames rather than AL or TI. Now that gave me the idea to create a CrMo based race bike that could possibly have been developed by DBR if they so wished.

The goals were now set for the build:
1. DBR CrMo race bike theme, pro level.
2. The overall paint scheme needs to tie in with that of the M4 fork and give a nod to the original DB paint scheme
3. DB and DBR products made extensive use of Shimano, Answer and Aviner products all of which I am a big fan of.
4. Period correct build where possible.
5. Use some of my original upgrade parts that I purchased back in the mid 90’s
6. Build light and strong for daily use!

Well I can confirm Gil is the man not only for repro stuff but custom designs too
I estimate some 30 plus emails later we had the final proof on a custom set of decals.
These were predominantly cut from metallic silver colour vinyl but because of some fine detail a couple of decals need to be printed.

Kudos to you Gil for your pain and suffering but in the end this build was not possible without you!

So here is the frame paint scheme:
Super Black base
Turquois base with blow through effect, custom matched colour to M4 anodising (dam difficult to match)
Custom decals applied
Clear top coats
All applied in the required 8hrs start to finish.

Attachments

• 4.5.jpg
    4.5.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 403
  • 4.4.jpg
    4.4.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 404
  • 4.3.jpg
    4.3.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 401
  • 4,2.jpg
    4,2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 403
  • 3.5.jpg
    3.5.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 403
Thank you, I am happy with the result.

The idea was to create an illusion of the "wet" turquoise paint from the M4 to splash up against the frame when at speed. Hence the is no splash marks near the head set tube or on top of the top tube and the paint was shot from fork in a "radial type fashion". Also when the frame is viewed from the rear almost no turquois paint can be seen.

The plan is to paint the brake boosters and water bolt cages the same turquoise base coat with then clear top coat. So I am not quite done with the spray gun just yet.

The silver decals and turquoise metallic paint really pop in the sunlight.

So this is custom/prototype model is an Axis TS (Axis Team Steel)
Close ups of Gil's handy work on the seat tube decals to follow.

The head set is a NOS Shimano XTR M901 I got from a seller in Germany.

Next up the is a description of two sets of wheels I built from scratch.
The reason for two sets is I want to be able to change between hard pack specific and a more all condition tyres really easily. This means the two sets of wheels would need to be built accurately.

Hats off to you Bud thats some thought and attention to detail, Looking great so far guess you can't be far from the finish.

I managed to source 8 NOS Mavic 238 (version with eyelets), 2 NOS M910 front hubs, 2 used M910 rear hubs (serviced these), new black DT Swiss champion spokes and blue anodised DT Swiss nipples. This carring the colour theme through from the M4 fork.

I built both sets of wheels with a x3 pattern making sure all the rim and hub “labels” were correctly orientated. I used a Parktool for tensioning and clock gauge for trueing duties.

Tyres of choice are Panaracer Smoke and Dart classics (black walls!) for the one set of wheels and Conti Speed King & Race King for the other set. We have a lot of hardpack trails here and the Contis have proved to be super fast.

Attachments

• 4.8.jpg
    4.8.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 261
  • 4.7.jpg
    4.7.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 261
  • 4.6.jpg
    4.6.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 259
  • 4.5.5.jpg
    4.5.5.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 261
Build sheet as follows now that the build is close to complete:

Frame: Originally 94 Diamondback Topanga – customised, weight 2.6kg

Fork: Answer Manitou 4 with extension kit

Headset: XTR M901 1 1/8 “
Stem: Answer A-tac
Handlebar: Answer Hyperlite 5 deg
Grips: Answer logo, clear
Barends: N/A

Brakes: XTR M900 SLR
Brake Pads: Koolstop black
Brake Cables: Grey XTR SLR
Cantilever cable hangers: XTR
Brake Levers: XTR M910
Brake Boosters: Chasertech aluminium

Shifters: XTR M910
Front Derailleur: XTR M900
Rear Derailleur: XTR M910 with Rollamajig
Derailleur Cables: Grey XTR SIS SP41
Cassette: XTR M900
Chain: XTR HG91
Cranks: XTR M900
Crank Bolts: XTR
Chainrings: XTR
Chainring bolts: XTR
Bottom Bracket: XTR UN91
Pedals: Purchased new in 96 (can’t recall brand has CF wrap) with Lake shoes

Hub Skewers: XTR M910
Rims: Mavic 238
Hubs: XTR M910
Nipples: DT Swiss aluminium
Spokes: DT Swiss 2.0/1.8 Champion Black
Tyres: Panaracer Dart and Smoke classic black wall / Continental Race King and Speed King
Tubes: Continental light

Saddle: Selle Italia Flight Flow Ti
Seatpost: XTR M910
Seatpost Binder: Avenir
Water bottle cages: Avenir
Cycling computer: Avenir A1, 94 vintage and still working

Weight: Take a guess! Will weigh in when complete.

Back