GT Arrowhead

Dami

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi,

This frame is probably a -98 model based on the decals, but as this is my go-to section, all of my other projects will end up here, and the components on the GT are from 94-97, I decided to put it here. I hope nobody will be offended by this.

I have three slowly progressing full renovations going on and I wanted to do also some quicker project alongside them (to get at least some feeling of accomplishment :D ). I found this frame/fork combo from local bike forums and gathered most parts from my old donor bikes. I also liked the grey Ritchey-Maxxis combination found also on my Nakamura Summit, so I located a beat up Ritchey for a couple of euros and cheap NOS Maxxis tires from Germany pretty quickly.

When I was trying to figure out the year model of the frame (previous owner said 97-9:cool:, I found from the catalogs that back then all of the lower end GT's were apparently made of 7000-series aluminum. Weird thing about this one was that it's made of 6061, same alloy that for example Zaskars. If anyone can enlighten me why or how, I'd be happy to receive some knowledge on that!

The build itself was pretty straightforward. I only had to modify the rear hub (and wheel) from 130-->135, but luckily I found a longer axle and a few spacers from my junk box. Only thing giving me gray hair was that when I ordered the wear and tear parts, I assumed the BB shell to be 73mm. When I was installing it, I found that it left 1mm gap when fully tightened. So I measured the BB shell and it was 72mm. What's this about? Anyways one spacer later I was moving on.

Here's the component list and a pic from the North. Hope you enjoy it!

Frame: GT Arrowhead 1998(?) - 6061 aluminum - Size 14.5"
Fork: GT Cromo
Stem: GT
Handlebar: GT
Grips: K2
Brakes: Shimano STX-RC BR-M600
Brake Levers: Shimano STX-RC BL-M600
Shifters: SRAM SRT 400
Front Derailleur: Shimano STX FD-MC30 (NOS)
Rear Derailleur: Shimano STX RD-MC34
Cranks: Shimano Alivio FC-MC12
Pedals: Wellgo LU-934
Rims: Alesa Voyager
Hubs: Shimano Alivio HB-MC12/FH-MC12
Tyres: Maxxis C-1160 1.95" (NOS)
Saddle: Ritchey Vector
Seatpost: GT

Weight: 11.6kg

p5pb17210811.jpg

Re:

Thanks! What can I say, I'm a sucker for those sloping top tubes (sometimes even with the cost of my bikes being a little small for me..) :D

Re:

Can't say what seems to be the problem with the photo as I'm able to see the picture with both my computer and mobile.. :?

EDIT: Just to make sure, I replaced the old one with the new seen now ;)

Latest posts

Back