RockShox Crown Top Cap Stuck

npn

Retro Guru
This got all messed up... any thoughts on how to unscrew it? It requires a 22mm wrench which I have, but the edges are rounded so it won't unscrew

LbOYASe.jpg

V01E74a.jpg

Btw this is a 1996 RockShox Mag 21

Re:

My first thought is stop!
Don't use a wrench, use a socket, a good six point, non-chamfer socket.
This gives you 6 points of contact versus 2 with a wrench.
Soak it with liquid wrench, PB blaster or one of those for an hour or so before trying that.
I am sure others will chime in, but a wrench on that is a recipe to round all the corners off. Use a good socket.

I actually started with a socket and that rounded the edges. The problem is that the cap is very short - about 2mm and the wrench or sockets slips out. Soaking it in PB blaster sounds good.

Re:

Sounds good so far, I thought you were going all out wrench.
I say non-chamfer socket, as many have a bevel from the very edge to the flats, so if the edge is 2mm tall, and you have 1mm of chamfer on the socket, you can see how that sucks.
You can 'make' a socket non-chamfer by grinding it down flat on a belt sander.
With tools out of the way, you can tap on the edges a bit - not sure if that will help much.
Heat I don't think so. By the time you get really warm, you will start deforming the air seal, and those are like unicorn teeth, so I wouldn't risk it, unless it gets real.

This tool seems too expensive for this fork, wouldn't you say? I don't know much about this fork but it can't be worth much... especially after I damaged the cap.

Tried the wrench again today and still no luck

Re:

take a small, sharpish punch and a small(ish) hammer, set the punch onto the corner of one of the rounded 'square' wrench edges, at about a 45 degree angle to cap rotation direction; and gently tap the punch with the hammer until the top cap loosens (this will damage or destroy the cap, but it sounds as though it doesn't really matter any longer, anyway).

Have you released the pinch bolts?
I've had several caps (more than i'd care to think about) that despite not technically needing the pinch bolts loosening, according to the manual, massively benefit from just taking a turn off them. Especially if they've been moved (or overtightened) already.............

Tapping on the edges didn't work. The cap got damaged a bit so I didn't go any further.

Loosening the pinch bolts is a good idea...

Back