1991 Offroad Proflex 750 - Gravel Retro-mod!!

Re: Re:

miliu":2d7zd6tu said:
check the frame first... if it is OK then go for a 1 1/4 flexstem

I Checked the frame carefully when it arrived, it's old aluminium so I gave it a good inspection... But I didn't even think to check the stem

Re:

And Secondly, the Suntour X-Press shifters that I was going to use appear to have a different gear cable nipple to normal. It looks like a brake cable... But it's a gear cable... :?
Where can I get these cables? I'm not sure I can re-use the cables I have, I think they may be too short.

Edit : think I've found a solution for this problem, the post below suggests filing a Standard gear cable nipple to fit.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... mp;t=72999

And according to Jagwire their "Basics" gear cable should be compatible.

https://jagwire.com/products/inner-wire ... asic-shift

Also Some tandem gear inners look the same.

Think I'll see what I can salvage from the cables I have, file down a standard gear inner, and order a Jagwire Basics inner anyway as a spare.

Attachments

• _20181207_185137-1101x767.JPG
    _20181207_185137-1101x767.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,158
  • _20181207_185111-1144x748.JPG
    _20181207_185111-1144x748.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,158
Re:

I found out the same after I'd cut the front mech cable on the Cindercone I've got :facepalm:
I managed to get a few spares though off eBay and Amazon, think they were the Jagwire and possibly Clarks ones.

Re:

Made a bit of progress with this today in between Christmas shopping and bad light stopping play.
The Jagwire Basics gear cable inners do indeed fit the shifters, the nipple is the same shape just not as deep, but fits and works fine. Certainly cheaper than buying the NOS Suntour cables from eBay! The ones I bought were sold as being universal tandem gear inners and were extra long, with two different ends to choose from.

I also stripped down the rear "suspension", removed the swingarm and checked, cleaned, and reassemble it all again. I have a couple of Cane Creek Thudbuster elastomers to replace the squishy mess that was acting as the rear shock, I need to drill these out to fit on the bike though.

Fitted some of the Suntour XCE groupset, then realised I was out of cable ferrules :roll: so I'll have to finish the cabling off next weekend.

Quick photo before it got too dark. The camera flatters the frame, up close it's a bit shabby in real life :LOL:

Attachments

• 20181216_153636-1062x597.jpg
    20181216_153636-1062x597.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 1,100
Re:

Nice project.
I always loved those first generation Proflex.
But try to find more quality parts ! you would appreciate much that cool bike ;)

Here's mine (a 1990-1991 950)

24pouces":3d2s8515 said:
But try to find more quality parts ! you would appreciate much that cool bike ;)

Hey! It has an XC Comp front mech! :mrgreen: ;)

The rest of the group set was transferred over ftom a donor bike. This was supposed to be a "cheap" project :roll: but I've already had to replace the Flexstem, rear elastomer, gear cables.... :facepalm:

24pouces":3d2s8515 said:
Here's mine (a 1990-1991 950)

Very nice! What groupset was standard on this bike? I have seen a spec for the 550 which mentioned Shimano Deore LX, and Suntour XCE brakes? Do you know what the 750 spec would have been?

jimo746":nb5xzkpn said:
Very nice! What groupset was standard on this bike? I have seen a spec for the 550 which mentioned Shimano Deore LX, and Suntour XCE brakes? Do you know what the 750 spec would have been?

Here you go :) Found this on here somewhere and saved it;

Re:

Effectively, my 950 was Shimano XT equiped and your 750 was Suntour.
Both got the aluminum frame with steel swingarm. For riding it sometimes, the bike is very funny and cool, very near a softail and not so heavy. Quite stiff for a suspension bike, it was one of the best when only Boulder Gazelle, Cannondale EST and OffRoad Proflex were on market.
That neon salmon color is very nice

Re:

So I'm actually quite liking this bike. I've given it a few good rides now and have enjoyed them, it pretty much feels like a rigid bike, but the "suspension" just takes the edge off the rough trails. It's heavy though (c. 29lbs I think).
This might be a longer term "keeper" :) if it is then I'll get the frame powder coated, probably in the original grey, but with a brighter/flouro pink on the swing arm than the current faded salmon pink colour.

Anyway, here's a pic from the weekend...

Attachments

• 20190203_105630-796x448.jpg
    20190203_105630-796x448.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 651
Back