1988 Marin Palisades with MBK donor build

retrobikeguy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Picked this up as a hack sometime ago, always liked the early simplicity of these marins so I searched for parts.... and this awful MBK turned up for a song

IMG-20181208-100422.jpg

IMG-20181208-100436.jpg

and the donor...... covered in exage country.....yummy

IMG-20181206-142904.jpg

for the record, I'm trying to do this in a day .... inside..... while the missus is at work so she doesnt see "another 2 bikes" :oops:

Re:

Finished stripping the MBK and the parts are relatively clean :)

2018-12-08-11-31-06.jpg

the remaining carcass

2018-12-08-11-35-29.jpg

gotta nip out and get the papers now...... back soon ;)

Re:

So we are getting there! had to do more jobs than expected but its looking better.

out with the plastic U brake and a nice alloy one in its place, also the shifters were not as clicky so I had to use a spare pair of thumbies I had off a universal that came into the shop.

IMG-20181208-142334.jpg

tyres will have to be Peugeot, theyre amberwall and a simple design so theyll do as pro combo's aren't cheap.

IMG-20181208-110934.jpg

Re:

How long till the Mrs is back ftom work? :shock: :LOL:

Looking good, but there's always one job that slows things up (with my recent build a stuck BB cup.).

Good choice of donor bike :eek:

Re:

Missus back at 6;30 and I have stormed through the transfer :) , BB was a sealed unit and good to go luckily, finding a seatpost was a bother as the shed is 'stand and reach from the door only' but garden canes are useful.

Only hiccup is the child ............ I fear a grassing up coming on :|

Finished tho

2018-12-08-16-11-27.jpg

2018-12-08-16-11-58.jpg

2018-12-08-16-11-40.jpg

2018-12-08-16-12-26.jpg

Re:

Took it out for a ride to work yesterday... realised the front wheel wasnt in straight and the bars were bent :facepalm: so put some replacement bars on that had a better rise - better for my back and put the wheel in straight.

ride is really comfortable and the old exage shifts peachy, U-brake doesnt seem to have as much power as I remember them but I'm putting that down to plastic levers. overall I think it rides better than any new budget bike halfrauds could offer.

IMG-20181209-171136.jpg

Re:

Cheers chaps, 30 years old and still younger than us eh :LOL: , pretty happy with it really, and so glad I saved it from a trip to Africa in a container, so many retro budget bikes are overlooked and sent away or scrapped this way..... It upsets me!

I have a little softspot for these early budget groups, coming from the poor side of York anything above tourney was unheard of, I remember saving pocket money and buying a Shimano polybag with an exage rear mech in from 3A's in acomb... I was so chuffed, I went straight home and fitted to my second hand Raleigh magnum, not all of us were born with a silver spoon so that was my first MTB...... Memories

thanks to Roly I now have a lh mountain LX thumbie to fit to my 89 palisades, I'll get a thread up soon for it.

Back